Click here if you are having website access problems ×

List 1A tyre recommendations sought

Strangely

Hi all. Anyone got direct experience of 13" List 1A tyres, or ideally more than one, for a comparison? I'm on 13x6" wheels, and I don't want to change.

I currently have Toyo Proxes CF2 (the new Academy tyres, I believe) in 185/60R13, and I'm quite impressed with them. I've used them on the road and for AutoSolos and I've been pleasantly surprised by their performance, coming from 1B tyres (CR500 - my all-time favourite, ZZS, A032R, A021R). I'm inclined to buy another set, but I'm curious what the competition is like, particularly Yokohama A539 and A008 ADVAN HF Type-D. There's not much else available in 13".

I've done about 5,500 miles on the Toyos since I got them a year ago, including 7 AutoSolos and 3 days with AW Driver Training, so quite a bit of abuse, and there is still some life left in them.

Unfortunately the CF2 isn't available to buy anywhere in 185/60R13, and Toyo themselves said:

The CF2 is becoming a discontinued pattern, and this size is now discontinued with no available stock, we also have no alternative pattern in this size unfortunately.

I wonder if Caterham are aware, since that is the Academy tyre for this year.

I think you'll struggle to find an improvement in grip in 1A tyres at 13", I had to go up to at least 15" for autosolos before I found an advantage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the Speed Championship competitors use A539s in classes 1 and 2. They seem pretty good as a list 1a tyre, given that they are designed for road use, but get better as the tread depth reduces (Demon Tweeks have a shaving service). I never really liked them as much as a track focused tyre, so am now in class 3 running ZZS which I much prefer, even in the wet!

• Like 1