Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma 150 Titan TB inlet gasket?

Andy135

Posted (edited)

I need to change the throttle return springs on my Sigma 150 Titan TB's. To do so will require removal of at least one of the TB units.

I can't see an inlet gasket between the bodies and the head. No gasket shows up on the Caterham parts site.

Are the Titan bodies sealed with liquid gasket instead or am I missing something?

If a liquid gasket is used, does anyone know specifically what type?

Edited by Andy135

Hi Andy135,

I'll try and remember to have a look tonight. I have removed them before and am pretty certain there is no gasket and I just used a smear of liquid sealant (I'll have a look for what that was too!).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eccles said:

Hi Andy135,

I'll try and remember to have a look tonight. I have removed them before and am pretty certain there is no gasket and I just used a smear of liquid sealant (I'll have a look for what that was too!).

Thanks @Eccles. I'm 99% sure there's no gasket (certainly nothing visible) which leads me to assume a liquid gasket must be used. Any guidance as to what to order would be great.

Definitely no gasket on mine and from what's on the shelf I will have used "Red Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Instant Gasket" by Pro Seal. I did it a few years ago so it seems to have lasted well.👍

Ivan

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eccles said:

Definitely no gasket on mine and from what's on the shelf I will have used "Red Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Instant Gasket" by Pro Seal. I did it a few years ago so it seems to have lasted well.👍

Ivan

Super, thanks for checking.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Turns out mine don't have a liquid gasket, but o-rings to seal the mating faces. Anyone successfully re-used them, or know where to find replacements? Will try Caterham and Redline on Monday.

20240615_115346.thumb.jpg.aa0658e746ffb9d16906dcaf45d7779f.jpg

Edited by Andy135

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Turns out mine don't have a liquid gasket, but o-rings to seal the mating faces. Anyone successfully re-used them, or know where to find replacements? Will try Caterham and Redline on Monday.

If you don't have any luck there o-rings are readily available from a lot of suppliers, e.g. Here .  Just need to measure up to see what you need

37 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

If you don't have any luck there o-rings are readily available from a lot of suppliers, e.g. Here .  Just need to measure up to see what you need

Thanks Andrew. Had a look but they don't seem to stock oval rings, which is what I'll need. I have some o-ring lube and the o-rings themselves appear to be in good nick so I might lube then up and re-use them 🤔

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Thanks Andrew. Had a look but they don't seem to stock oval rings, which is what I'll need. I have some o-ring lube and the o-rings themselves appear to be in good nick so I might lube then up and re-use them 🤔

They will not start out oval, they will be round and just fitted into the oval groove

Hmm, I'm intrigued now..... Perhaps I have that too, although not going to take it apart though just to check😃. I saw what looked like a tiny smear of sealant on the mating face on the head and assumed that was it🤔

Andy135, are yours branded Titan or Caterham?

Ivan

3 hours ago, Eccles said:

Hmm, I'm intrigued now..... Perhaps I have that too, although not going to take it apart though just to check😃. I saw what looked like a tiny smear of sealant on the mating face on the head and assumed that was it🤔

Andy135, are yours branded Titan or Caterham?

Ivan

Branded Caterham, but made on behalf of them by Titan I believe.

20240617_130748.thumb.jpg.e84a970077fa7e039a9dc5dc4237bab4.jpg

• Thanks 1

An update on this. I spoke to Titan this morning and they advise that the o-rings supplied to Caterham are indeed circular, they're nitrile, 2mm thick and have an i/d of 49mm.

So I have four on order from a generic o-ring supplier and will report back how easy (or not) they are to stretch and install into the oval/oblong groove in the TB face.

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So I have four on order from a generic o-ring supplier and will report back how easy (or not) they are to stretch and install into the oval/oblong groove in the TB face.

If Titan have used the correct size they should not need stretching, the oval groove should be the same length as the circumference of the o-ring

1 hour ago, OldAndrewE said:

If Titan have used the correct size they should not need stretching, the oval groove should be the same length as the circumference of the o-ring

They're more oblong than oval - see the pic above. Looks like it'll need stretching to me.

4 hours ago, OldAndrewE said:

Having now measured the circumference of the groove (168mm) and worked out that the diameter needed to give that circumference is 53mm, I note that the o-rings I've ordered have an o/d of 53mm, so I reckon you might be right @OldAndrewE.

Posted (edited)

@OldAndrewE was right. The specified o-rings were slightly larger than the diameter of the groove so they could be fitted nicely into its oblong shape.

All back together now and ready to go for a test drive later.

Edited by Andy135
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nick Bassett said:

Glad to hear you've got her fixed Andy... see you Sunday.

If not before! Some cracking weather this week so I think an evening blat after work might be on the cards 🤔