Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noise Level

Stu Smith

Random question…

My autistic granddaughter wants to come out in the Caterham.

Question being, what’s the consensus of opinion on noise level differences inside the car with half hood fitted or just full screen and doors?

The half-hood makes the noise more 'boomy' and for that reason my (also) autistic daughter prefers the open car. Hearing protection is essential ! Ear defenders or other covered ear sound-deadening will help nullify the noise and make it a calmer experience. How old is your granddaughter? I would recommend a short, slow, introduction around the local residential streets first, which can easily be aborted if needed.   

• Like 1

Thank you Malc.

The roof off is her preferred option. She is 12 years old, I do plan on keeping very local to see how it goes.

She does have some headphones for music would these be enough or do you think I should purchase some proper ear defenders?

BTW my Ultimate Ear plugs are brilliant thank you for the recommendation.

I’m a big advocate of ear defenders with intercoms for taking kids in the car… I made these (2 each of adult and kids variants) and several club members have similar things. Some companies make this type of thing as an off the shelf product too.

IMG_5062.thumb.jpeg.c65ab98aa9e00f34fe6ed8287f3dc07f.jpeg

16 minutes ago, lapsedtheorist said:

I’m a big advocate of ear defenders with intercoms for taking kids in the car… I made these (2 each of adult and kids variants) and several club members have similar things. Some companies make this type of thing as an off the shelf product too.

IMG_5062.thumb.jpeg.c65ab98aa9e00f34fe6ed8287f3dc07f.jpeg

I’ll get some 3M Peltors, if she likes it and there is no over stimulation for her, I will invest in some with intercoms..👍🏻

• Like 1