Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overly interested in oil filters

The Bosch filter is specified at 1.4 bar, most of the other in the 0.7 to 0.8 bar range. This is a differential pressure due to the filter clogging though, so the Bosch filter could restrict the oil flow through the engine a lot more than the others when it is clogged.

• Like 1

Round 2:-

Got hold of three more filters from the cross refernce list (still can’t get a Fram)

Mann W77:  51sqcm filter media

Wix 57035:  28sqcm 

Purflux LS169B:  23.2sqcm 

The Mann had the strongest bypass valve out of all the ones I’ve cut open. Closely followed by the Bosch. But the Mann did have the thinnest filter media of these three, although the most surface area of the removed section. One concerning point of note was that the top section of the filter “cartridge” did come away from the cylindrical centre.

The Wix had no sprung bypass valve that I could see, but it had a large relatively solid part attached to the anti drain back valve. The central holed section looked very restrictive aswell, some holes weren't fully punched through. The can itself was the thinnest of all the filters and easily flexed. What impact it has on the use of the assembly I don't know, but it doesn’t fill me with confidence when it comes to foreign object impact. 

Purflux was rather disappointing and obviously isn’t the supplier to Bosch even though Bosch has the zig-zag pleats that Purflux are known for. 

Again, I’m no expert in these matters so please make your own choices. Personally I’m sticking with the Bosch ones as they seem the best all rounder when it comes to filter media, inlet holes size, central cylindrical flow rate, bypass valve strength and cost. 

IMG_3742.thumb.jpeg.92965cfbda4f5e7c80ecfddb3dc52835.jpegIMG_3743.thumb.jpeg.020f788282f95f2e7bcdde633f15575c.jpeg

• Like 1

I wouldn't use the WIX 57035, Pete, it is mainly designed for ride-on lawnmowers and filter to 32 microns, the non-conventional relief valve is set to 0.5 bar. The larger 51348 filter I use (specified as a standard fit for most Duratecs) filters to 21 microns and has a conventional steel bypass valve spring rated at 0.7 bar.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

I wouldn't use the WIX 57035, Pete, it is mainly designed for ride-on lawnmowers and filter to 32 microns, the non-conventional relief valve is set to 0.5 bar. The larger 51348 filter I use (specified as a standard fit for most Duratecs) filters to 21 microns and has a conventional steel bypass valve spring rated at 0.7 bar.

I’m really not upto speed on Wix filters. I’ll do my best to find one. The fact that its for a lawnmower makes sense with the bypass valve arrangement. 

EDIT:-

Found a 51348 but its £17 and someone has already done it. 

Here

Edited by PlastererPete