Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overly interested in oil filters

Posted (edited)

First off, admins, if this is more suited to go in “Chitchat” please move it. I wasn’t sure where was appropriate. 

So I had a couple of afternoons off work due to rain/showers preventing us from getting on with an outside job. Fell down a youtube rabbit hole of various car related stuff and stumbled across a guy who dismantles oil filters. 
It peaked my interest so ordered some that fit my CSR from a cross reference list I found when I initially looked for a Fram PH2874. 
They arrived over the course of a week and I’ve taken them all apart and taken very rough surface area measurements of the filter medias. 
I know most of us generally change the oil and filter yearly so this is all a bit overboard but I get a bee in my bonnet and just roll with the occasional thought/idea (this being one of them). 

Caterham (rebranded Alco):  44.22 cm2

Alco SP-898:  44.22 cm2

Bosch. P3141:  50.88 cm2

Mahle OC11:  43 cm2

And a bonus filter just to see if it would fit on the car without being at risk,

Bosch P7078:  88.3 cm2

I’ve added a couple of pictures below. Personally I think I prefer the Bosch filters. The anti-drain back valve is a metal spring loaded affair with the usual rubber diaphragm, whereas the others just have a rubber diaphragm. It also has more holes in the centre which I’m assuming is a little less restrictive. 
I noticed the bypass valves on the Bosch filters were also stronger compared to the others. 

As for micron rating of the filter media, I have no idea. The Mahle was more like cardboard, Bosch were stiff paper, Alco/Caterham soft paper. Not very scientific but this was all for my own curiosity really. Thought I would post it up incase anyone had a similar thought but wasn’t ridiculous enough to actually buy filters and cut them up 🤪

IMG_3711.thumb.jpeg.3aa6653c7290fb31ef16f95efca721d3.jpegIMG_3712.thumb.jpeg.3324e54545f845ec0f551089db50442e.jpeg

Edited by PlastererPete
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Old school can opener I expect!

I brought a Bosch for my K series and didnt end up using it. Looking inside it didnt look uniform. Used my last genuine rover filter. 

Decision to be made next year!!

2 hours ago, Colin_T said:

What did you use to open them? 

Just a held them in a vice and used a hacksaw. 

These particular Bosch filters I believe are made by Purflux given the zigzag pleats. But I may be mistaken. They certainly seem to be the better filters though. 

• Like 2

• Area Representative

Interesting research.

From the factory my Duratec was originally fitted with a UFI 23. 118. 00. But I now fit MANN W77. MANN have a good reputation in the automotive world, especially HGV & heavy plant but unless one takes a can opener to their filter you will never know ! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Geoff Brown said:

Interesting research.

From the factory my Duratec was originally fitted with a UFI 23. 118. 00. But I now fit MANN W77. MANN have a good reputation in the automotive world, especially HGV & heavy plant but unless one takes a can opener to their filter you will never know ! 

I tried to get a Mann W77 and a Fram PH2874 but both were on the high side of what I was willing to pay for an experiment plus that was if anyone had any in stock. 

The only thing I didnt like about the Mann W77 was that it only had 4 holes on top (of comparable size to the others) where as the others all had 6 or more. 

If I can get hold of one for decent money I’ll cut it open and see what it’s like. 

Edited by PlastererPete

I use a higher volume WIX 51348 filter which fits without a problem on the dry sump Duratec adapter. I don’t have photos of an unused filter from when I cut them open with my new engine build, but the internal quality with the hybrid cotton/paper element they use looks good.

IMG_2467.gif.e5e5d901957c4ba4b204f4526ae3478a.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

That looks like an interesting alternative too. Never rated Wix filters much over here. Maybe they are different in over there. 

Most of the WIX filters are manufactured in the US, so tend to be a common brand in Canada. They generally are seen as better than average, but at a reasonable price. Typically I pay about $12 / £7 for the Caterham compatible one at the local motor factors.

39 minutes ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

I think the European equivalent is the WL7510, shows the 51348 as a cross reference and covers the same vehicles.

Can’t find anyone with stock of either of those. 

18 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

Can’t find anyone with stock of either of those. 

Strange that it isn't easily available, espescially as it has a massive number of vehicle fitments and is quoted as an "available" filter. Maybe a UK vs Europe thing where they aren't really active in selling in the UK anymore? https://wixeurope.com/en/filter-catalogue/oil-filter,WL7510

Excellent threat, hats off to Pete!   I have used the Mann W77 for my Duratec for the last 2 years, but will give the Bosch a try over the winter.  I wonder if there is any effect on oil pressure between the different types for to rate of flow etc?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Excellent threat, hats off to Pete!   I have used the Mann W77 for my Duratec for the last 2 years, but will give the Bosch a try over the winter.  I wonder if there is any effect on oil pressure between the different types for to rate of flow etc?

There probably is something pressure wise with the filter media but I doubt its worth worrying about. 
My concern is the relief valve resistance and how weak the alco/caterham and mahle ones were compared to the bosch. The thinking being with some of our 7s being used on track how much oil pressure is being created and whether those weaker bypass valves would let any unfiltered oil through. 

49 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

It would be interesting to know how they compare with a Ford filter. It is hard to know what the correct or optimal valve pressure is. It could be the CC one is set best, maybe.

I’ve tried looking for a ford filter for mine, but all the ford part numbers listed on the cross reference details don’t really correlate to consistent filter dimensions. 
If anyone has a ford part number for one then I’ll see if I can grab one of those too. 

• Like 1