Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Emissions fail (no cat)

Just took my 1.6 k series for its first MOT under my stewardship.  Went to a 'Caterham friendly' MOT centre in Earl Shilton.  But still it failed on emissions.  😞 

Back in 2021 it was fitted with a R300 exhaust and previous owner(s) had got it through MOT - guess their test centre was 'more friendly'.

What options do I have now, now that its marked with emissions fail?    Do not want to stump up £1,600 for a new preplacement pipe with race cat and TBH am extremely happy with the noise/power of my R300 exhaust.       

If I get the below off ebay, is it likely to fit and i use it as a temp install for MOT times?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296292754199?chn=ps&_ul=GB&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=296292754199&targetid=1814673648662&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046168&poi=&campaignid=19089547614&mkgroupid=142438599285&rlsatarget=pla-1814673648662&abcId=9303859&merchantid=6995734&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw34qzBhBmEiwAOUQcF4sqqjBo7iLlo0gumzPjhsc02R4gQaCZApWPiqK9VncSJQ7CLtrXoBoCdWkQAvD_BwE

All your sage like knowledge appreciated.  

image0 (1).jpeg

• Area Representative

The group in your Leicestershire area has 106 members so hopefully someone may have a cat they could lend you?  There should be a WhatsApp group you could use to ask the question? £600 is taking the p155!

Nick

• Like 1

Cant help with the exhaust as mine is the single pipe out the side of the car, not the 4.

However you may be local if you're going to Earl Shilton (I'm Burbage). Earl Shilton was the garage Caterham used to use when they were up the road but they've not been there for a long time. I didn't go as I didn't get any recommendations, I didn't know if it was still the same people (and so how friendly it would be) and I couldn't realistically get there in a lunch hour.

Recommendations on here suggested Stoney Stanton which i'd now also recommend going forwards, however I'm not convinced he'd pass a car that would fail its emissions, especially if its already marked as having failed.

1 hour ago, bluenose said:

The group in your Leicestershire area has 106 members so hopefully someone may have a cat they could lend you?  There should be a WhatsApp group you could use to ask the question? £600 is taking the p155!

Nick

guess this tatty thing from Sevens&Classics is a better price and will do for MOT days..... 

https://www.sevensandclassics.com/online-shop/p/r500-k-catalytic-exhaust-pipe-used

The need for a cat depends on the year of your car, and specifically on digit 10 of your VIN.

Digit 10 is the year code.  If it's greater than W (that is, X, Y or a number >0), you'll need a cat.

JV

Its a 6. 😔. Shopping time for me! 

thanks for the info John 

1 hour ago, John Vine said:

The need for a cat depends on the year of your car, and specifically on digit 10 of your VIN.

Digit 10 is the year code.  If it's greater than W (that is, X, Y or a number >0), you'll need a cat.

JV

2 minutes ago, CAT170 said:

What did it specifically fail on? If the CO and HC are ok but the Lambda is high it could be a small exhaust leak.

Many things. Lambda reading, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon. 

You dont say what year your car is. If its before 1st August 1998, then a visual test is all that is required.

Page 2 of the DVSA 'In service exhaust emission standard for road vehicles'.

I take a copy of this with me and hand it to the tester. I have never had a problem with my 1996 Zetec on carbs.

Col

17 minutes ago, Tvrtastic911 said:

Going to order a that used R500 K Catalytic Converter from Sevens and Classics, seems to be the cheapest and easiest option for me. 

Check the pipe diameters match your system. R500 is bigger than some

• Area Representative

Your existing exhaust from the pic appears to be continuously welded up to & including the four branch ejector. So, it will have to be a cut & shut with clamps for the cat cat assembly ?

7 minutes ago, Geoff Brown said:

Your existing exhaust from the pic appears to be continuously welded up to & including the four branch ejector. So, it will have to be a cut & shut with clamps for the cat cat assembly ?

I cant see any weld. Hoping to pull off this morning before going to a remberance thing in a bit though. 

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Geoff Brown said:

OK. Must put on specs before opening mouth & inserting foot !

Best of luck with the re test.

No worries Geoff. I still cant get the bu55er off though. Non welded on fast. 🤣