Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 k series starter motor part number

Colin_T

R500 k starter motor ….
Anyone happen to know the starter motor part number, or vehicle it’s fitted to? 

mines crapped itself and typically the sticker on mine I can’t make out the part number at all.

cheers !! 

Mine from 2002 k-series was a Skoda Magneton unit. Safest way is to remove it and take it to a local auto electrical service workshop for refurbishment. Then you'll know it fits. Usually a 1 or 2 day turnround

• Like 1

I was probably going to get a wosp equivalent for it. 

it packed up in a petrol station, managed to grab a couple blokes for a bump, but by that time it worked again, I presumed maybe it had just got hot and just needed 5 minutes.

got to where I was going, and was there a good couple hours but nothing from the starter at all, had to bump it. (starter relay clicks ok)

Now I’m back home and it’s cooled down I’ll do some checks and if need be get it unbolted. 

Yes, I'd do some checks before concluding that it's the starter. 

• Check battery fluid levels and top up, as appropriate.
  • Inspect all relevant wires and connections, including earths.
  • Try jump starting from another vehicle or battery.
  • What's the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking, and at 3,000 rpm if you can get it running?

Do you need a wiring diagram?

Jonathan

Posted (edited)

Starter relay clicks

test light on starter exciter wire confirms voltage present at the starter when start button activated. 

all power cables and engine earths good.

Starter now removed:

Bosch 0 986 018 240 

Bench tested, given some abuse with screwdriver across the terminals and wired direct to a battery and it burst into life, although got hot VERY quickly. 

*quickly put back on the car to double check the car side of electrics is 100% working, cranks engine* 

probably one of them where you could whack the solenoid with a hammer and it would get you going again.

but I don’t trust putting it back on the car.

Snetterton Thursday so I’ll get one sorted for then 👍

Edited by Colin_T
*retested again*

• Leadership Team

Do you have the additional relay fitted to prevent the “K-Series click”? Even if the car isn’t exhibiting the usual characteristics the relay mod will make the starter work better.

The WOSP starter for the K is the LMS430.

Stu.

Update on this and future info:

So my car used a Bosch 0 986 018 240  starter which came up as Ford pinto starter motor and is used with a 26mm adaptor/spacer 

to use the LMS430 a 22mm adaptor/spacer was required to make the starter engage with the flywheel ring gear. 

• Leadership Team

What thickness is the standard Caterham supplied spacer?

Edited:  I’m sure that’s a stupid question and you’re saying 26mm!

I’m using the LMS430 WOSP starter with the standard o/e spacer fitted to my SLR. The WOSP supplied unit has a separate collar, I assume this is sized to work correctly with the standard Caterham spacer.