Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec replacement coil sub loom - flexiloom

Dan R

Im looking for a replacement uprated coil sub loom 'flexiloom' part - 3AL080A - for my Duratec due to the known degradation due to heat and vibration of the original factory wiring.  I have not had much luck thus far with CC or Redline and am sure there was mention somewhere in the archives (Not that i can find it again as i don't  have JK's expertise in these matters) of a company that makes the looms for CC?  Does anyone know of the origin of the CC looms and who may be able to supply or produce the required part please? 

Mk3 MX-5s with the Duratec engine had a known issue with the wires to the coils, particularly cylinder 1. You can buy a replacement connector with 8” (IIRC) pigtails to solder into the loom.

People also removed the plastic coil cover because it squashed the wires, exacerbating the problem.

MattB

9 hours ago, Dan R said:

Im looking for a replacement uprated coil sub loom 'flexiloom' part - 3AL080A - for my Duratec due to the known degradation due to heat and vibration of the original factory wiring.  I have not had much luck thus far with CC or Redline and am sure there was mention somewhere in the archives (Not that i can find it again as i don't  have JK's expertise in these matters) of a company that makes the looms for CC?  Does anyone know of the origin of the CC looms and who may be able to supply or produce the required part please? 

A lot of (all?) CC's looms are made by these folks:

MES (Motorcycle Electrical Services) Ltd
UNIT A2, HARRIS ROAD
WEDGENOCK INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
WARWICK, CV34 5JU
01926 499756

However, I suspect their contract with CC will preclude supplying to you direct.  If so, you'll either need to order a one-off via CC, or make your own. 

Even if MES decline to make one for you personally, they may well be willing to tell you what you'll need to make one, including the gauge etc of the flexible silicone-covered cable.  If it helps, I could make a list of material required based on my own flexi-loom.

I had to splice a connector into my existing 2008 R400D loom, but I believe R500D's already have that connector.

JV

Thanks for the info JV, i will contact them and see what they say.   i have had a look at the loom and i don't think there is a connector fitted to mine (2012), so i am guessing it will need splicing in.... unless I'm missing something obvious? 

image.thumb.jpeg.28f5a759f6f5bf13050f21bc232f15e5.jpeg

I think you may be right.  I would expect the connector to be somewhere close to where your fuel-rail connector is.

For info, this is where I spliced in my Econoseal to hook up with the flexi-loom:

Flexicoilloom_fitted_showingspliced-inconnector.jpg.1d7259319d0ab15a158bba20b15d850b.jpg

This is what CC's Workshop Notice 515 said:

WN515_Page1.jpg.171f8aac22e3d5b81a9b3c1b1b395a24.jpg

WN515_Page2.jpg.2041433c879014df0f8060ed22943406.jpg

JV

Thanks JV that's really helpful.  It makes sense as you say to do the splice at the fuel rail so as not to have to unravel the rest of the loom unnecessarily! 

Thanks JV, that's great.  

I have called MES today and apparently the chap i need to speak to will be in on Monday, so they asked me to call back then. 

• Like 1

Apologies may have already been mentioned, on source of connectors if you are making your own.

Emerald can supply the coil end connectors and the loom end is standard Econseal

I called MES and spoke to a lady that took my enquiry regarding a 'coil sub loom for a Duratec engine'.  I was hoping to be put through to the chap who i had been told dealt with these things, but instead she asked me if this was regarding a Caterham.  When i confessed that it was (Believing honesty to be the best policy.... i know, i know ....), she told me she would need approval from the chief exec of Caterham to sell me the part and that if i sent her my enquiry by email, she would email Caterham and then get back to me with a response.  Somewhat less than the desired outcome!

However, 

Not to be beaten i once again tried to get through to CC, who i have been trying to contact for weeks, and eventually someone picked the phone up and i asked them about the loom.  With what felt like a very awkward conversation i spelt it out to him saying i want to buy one but you have none showing on the website.  His reply was 'well thats ok i will take one from the production, but it wont appear on the site for about 10 mins'.  Sure enough, 10 mins later i checked the site and it was now showing in stock, so i placed my order and it has now been delivered! 

All a lot more difficult than it really needed to be, and apologies to whoever has a delayed delivery due to a missing a sub loom! 

I just need to get round to fitting it now, for which JV has provided some excellent instructions, and likewise BigCol has done a piece of crimping econoseals in another thread which is also really helpful. 

• Thanks 1