Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Possible EV Motor CAD and printed

• Area Representative

While I’m on a role here. I thought it would be worth showing some images I’ve shared on socials recently. I’m looking at a motor option now that would have to sit in the transmission tunnel of a Seven… where the gearbox normally sits.

The prospective motor would be an extremely tight fit… with just a mm or two on each side as clearance.

[ Has anyone got experience fitting anything into a car with that tight a tolerance? And I appreciate a regular 5 or 6 speed box probably only has that sort of clearance… at least the 5 speed in my car is only a mm away from the chassis in places! ]

To this end, I spent a lot of time in CAD (first image) trying to determine if the motor will fit in my scanned digital twin. But it’s so close that I wanted to get a better physical confirmation… so I 3D printed the motor.

SPX177CableDirection.thumb.jpeg.6b323c2f49c88df0b24c5ce23bb93fe6.jpeg

I’d like the motor to sit further back in the chassis than shown in that picture, but as we all know the transmission tunnel tapers and so my concern about it fitting where I want it.

This is a 320bhp motor that I’ll probably only be able to realize about 60% of that in my first iteration of this project.

The second image below is of the 3D print of this motor. I don’t create the model, that’s from the motor supplier.

IMG_4767.thumb.jpeg.9f5e20a4d5b6ff57cce226a16c9759ff.jpeg

If you’re wondering, then the perforations in the stator casing (pink bit) are for two reasons. Firstly so I can “see through” it when I put it into the chassis and secondly to save a bit of print time and filament (though that may have not been the case in the end - infill density vs number of wall layers).

I just need some time, space on the drive and good weather to take the cover off the project car and offer up this motor to see what works.

John

• Like 2