Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine and Gearbox installed separately

I've just installed my engine and gearbox which were done separately (rather than joining it all together as per the manual). Many people advised it could be done this way, but I never actually found a post or any photos of this being done which made me nervous to go down this route. I'm always looking to do things a bit differently so I decided to attempt it this way and hopefully people can also gain from this experience and have confidence to try it themselves too. I'd also add that going down this route means if you are confident enough, you can install it on your own too. I did the gearbox on my own, and then for the engine borrowed a pair of hands to just help the process in case anything went wrong, it was easier with the extra hands for sure, but I would certainly be confident to do it on my own next time.

There are two posts, one for each part:

https://www.caterham420rbuild.co.uk/post/gearbox-install

https://www.caterham420rbuild.co.uk/post/engine-install

Hope this helps anyone else out there trying this route!

Ste

• Thanks 1

I have always split engine and gearbox on all the cars I’ve worked on (Vauxhall, K, Duratec). Why take the gearbox out if there’s nothing wrong with it? There’s a lot less weight swinging over the engine bay and a smaller lump to manoeuvre into place. The only downside that I can see is that it’s sometimes fiddly to line the first motion shaft of the gearbox with the clutch plates but a bit of trial and error sorts that out. 
Your choice….

Just now, ECR said:

I have always split engine and gearbox on all the cars I’ve worked on (Vauxhall, K, Duratec). Why take the gearbox out if there’s nothing wrong with it? There’s a lot less weight swinging over the engine bay and a smaller lump to manoeuvre into place. The only downside that I can see is that it’s sometimes fiddly to line the first motion shaft of the gearbox with the clutch plates but a bit of trial and error sorts that out. 
Your choice….

Agreed, what makes it easier is that once you remove the starter motor, you can always move the flywheel a little manually if you need to in order to help line it all up.

You also avoid the “oh sh*t “ moment when you realise that you’ve forgotten to plug the rear of the gearbox and are now paddling in gearbox oil

🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ECR said:

You also avoid the “oh sh*t “ moment when you realise that you’ve forgotten to plug the rear of the gearbox and are now paddling in gearbox oil

🤣

You mean "oh good, I've been meaning to do a gearbox oil change at some point"

Edited by Miker7

1 hour ago, ECR said:

Your choice….

Me too. I assembled my box and engine before fitting when I built my car but since then when working on other cars I’ve always removed the engine on its own. As you say why remove the box if no need? 

When I was building I couldn’t see why you wouldn’t pre assemble even though CC told me they always fit separately but getting the FMS in easy can be an issue and IIRC the starter on a sigma has to be off then fitted after, which can be awkward. 

Splitting a crossflow from a 4 speed box in situ to take the engine out looks hard to me.  Also there is definitely no way I'd be able to split my BDR from box in my short cockpit car.  Always managed to take out and install my previous k-series separately though.  So maybe it depends on engine and chassis?