Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quaife ATB LSD inside ford diff casing with 3.6 ratio.

graearea

Posted (edited)

since I'm tracking my R400, I've replaced the Quaife with a tracsport.

although it's totally fine on a roadcar, and will happily slide the tail about on the road and make nice straight 11s, for the track you really need a plated diff.

This would make a great improvement over an open diff. be aware it came out of a 6-speed R400 so it is the short ratio. in mine it tops out at 130mph.

the car was at 60,000 miles when I took it out and I hadn't noticed any problems. the ATB has a lifetime warranty on it.

800 quid, but I'll take offers.

IMG_4209Large.thumb.jpeg.ac4b155cbe8d28d8b894acb7501aebe5.jpegIMG_4656Large.thumb.jpeg.4bec8bb2971757aefd141b3ad69f0fc5.jpegIMG_4655Large.thumb.jpeg.56c6e54bd2b03e2ccc65ed0975dd6cdb.jpegIMG_4654Large.thumb.jpeg.5181c5e5085629aaf6c673ff31671a50.jpeg'd IMG_4207Large.thumb.jpeg.de1f743f13b519d09ed9b61c50eab8c2.jpeg

Edited by graearea
changed photos as I'd uploaded the wrong ones.

2 hours ago, Roadsport06 said:

If it is a 3.9 diff the engine revs will be around 7600 rpm to hit 130 mph

130mph at the top of 6th downhill at the nurburgring. I've managed 125ish in the uk at Bedford

JV, I'm not sure what the score is then. it must have been changed at some point or Simon has made a mistake as well, as the gearing definitely hasnt changed since swapping diff.

Original owner seems to back this up @john aston

On 27/05/2024 at 21:23, graearea said:

130mph at the top of 6th downhill at the nurburgring. I've managed 125ish in the uk at Bedford

JV, I'm not sure what the score is then. it must have been changed at some point or Simon has made a mistake as well, as the gearing definitely hasnt changed since swapping diff.

Original owner seems to back this up @john aston

The top speed is irrelevant unless compared with RPM. 

37 minutes ago, ScottR400D said:

Is this K series? The R400D with 6sp has a 3.64,

at least in the BMW housing it does. 

Must be a bit buzzy, the 3.64 is bad enough! 

Looking at my correspondence from five years ago with the previous owner, it's a 2007 R400D with 6-speed box and (originally) a Ford 3.62 diff plus Quaife ATB (as confirmed by CC at the time).

JV

OK. well.

R400D with a ford housing.

130mph off the limiter last year at the nurburgring. not sure exactly what that is. I've not topped it out since I put what Simon sold me as a 3.92

anyway.

I'll pull the back off it. anyone want to tell me how many teeth the crown will have?

3 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

no need to pull the back off it simple pop a dab of paint on one of the outputs and another reference on the case same on the pinion flange and tuen the falbe for one complete revolution of the output, easy to differenciate between 3.92 and 3.62

I was going to suggest similar but didn’t think the difference would be that great! 

I guess if one’s close to 4 and one to 3.5 it’s not too hard! 0.3 of a turn after all. 

12 hours ago, graearea said:

Oh no!

Ha ha. Well that will make almost zero difference

Thanks all!

If it is a 3.92 the revs will be higher at all times and fuel consumption will be worse. 
It’s about 7% difference in gearing. 

I wouldn’t want it, the 3.64 is bad enough when used on the road in terms of the revs for any given speed. 

As ford sierra diffs are getting quite rare, good ones more so, I’d probably pause while you consider whether the 3.9 is right for your usage?

It used to be circa £300 to rebuild a diff just in case you need to swap the slipper into your 3.6(2).

The ATB will have value whether its in a full assembly or just on its own.

4 hours ago, graearea said:

It's at about 4000rpm at 70mph so very noisy

On 30/05/2024 at 16:57, graearea said:

The car is pretty aggro at 70mph with or without the diff

Worse with a 3.9. Don’t forget to adjust the speedo. 

• Like 1