Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

IVA fail - sulking now :(

Ainsley

Caterham Silverstone took my car for its IVA on Friday - then called to say it had failed 😞

Basically it failed because the low speed sensitivity of the brakes was not good enough.  Simply put, the pads were not properly bed in.  All other braking tests were fine.

Seems they didnt bed them in long enough, or properly, and they will have to re-present the car for another test.  It will only need just that bit testing, but a test still has to be booked and at the moment I dont know when that will be.  The chap who called said they tired to rectify it at the test, but to no avail. 

I did think it would be a certain pass as I wanted them to prepare and take the car for me.  Seems that sorting the brakes is difficult as they are not able to test them until the IVA test is actually carried out. 

So, right now every time the sun comes out I sulk, when it rains Im not upset at all, which is a bit topsy-turvy.

Bummer.

Depends how pedantic they are being, mine failed he then SVA on an area I had previously discussed with their tech advisor, he was at the centre remembered the conversation but then added - but its not me who is testing your car.....

They gut who failed it said a retest would be months away as they were very busy, the admin lady overheard that and disagreed and duly booked me in the next morning, when said test kept me waiting for an hour after the booked time, checked the item in under 3 minutes then kept me waiting another 90 mins while he competed the paper work...

I endured all this with a smile as it was a stunning day knowing I would be driving home in my Caterham and the grumpy pedant would be left there to wash his Zafira (again)

Tis a little disappointing that CC Silverstone couldn't access a stretch of  'smooth private tarmac'  to bed the brakes in pre test.......

Pretty sure you don’t get a free retest but it’s a lower fee. CC put mine through the IVA after the PBC in 2015 and it failed. 

From memory CC gave the test centre tge wrong detail of the car so it failed something on emissions. It passed without alteration once it was correctly presented and CC paid the retest charge. 

Posted (edited)

I think my IVA was £450 and the retest £90.

As above, the retest is only checking the item(s) that failed, so doesn’t take long.

My retest was within a week of the first test.

My understanding is that Caterham guarantee a pass, if not a first time pass, which is why you pay the premium for them to present it - so I would expect them to wear the retest fee and you to have no additional expenditure.

The above is all as of 11 years ago; it might be a case of “that was then, this is now”! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by BigCol

Sounds like a basic error from the Caterham guys being complacent and they should definitely pay for the retest. Sorry to hear of your frustration. I took the long way to the IVA station when I did mine and spent as much time on the brakes as I did on the accelerator I reckon. I'm sure it'll be sorted soon

Arrgh! Sorry to hear this Ainsley. I hope they sort it for you sharpish, I'm surprised they don't just present the car with used brake pads to be sure tbh!! 

It's forecast to rain all week, and today was no better so you are not missing out that much! 

I did ask why the car wasn't fitted with some "already bed in pads".  I will call first thing on Tuesday and find out what they plan to do.  

Im hoping it can get squeezed in quickly.

53 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

As frustrating as this is take the opportunity whilst its raining to order your first upgrades....... *thumbup*

On that note, did you go for a carbon handbrake cover? It finishes off the interior nicely. I've just got one from Carsten Filmer as he still had some to sell. I can send you his email if you want it Ainsley? 

I've fitted a few upgrades already:

• Carbon handbrake lever.
  • Spa mirrors and the proper ball joint thing to make adjustment easier.
  • Soft bits tunnel map holder thing.
  • Blanking plugs for the seatbelt holes.
  • Black bonnet catches.
  • Oil level level sight glass in the dry sump tank.
  • Dry sump tank anodised black (black is faster).
  • Oil / water interchange temperature thing.
  • Oil water/pressure gauge.
  • Alloy oil breather catch tank.
  • Battery tender connector with built in charge indicator.
  • Throttle bodies and remap for when its run in.
  • De cat pipe.
  • Longer heater knob.
  • Bow protectors.
  • PPF.

I will investigate some intercom headsets for touring soon. 

Also I will probably get the strip extended down the rear of the car, seems odd it doesn't go all the way from the bonnet to the rear.

Anything else I can / should add to that list ?  It will take my mind off the wait.

Posted (edited)

Nice list, can I ask a few questions on these:

Longer heater knob.

- Which length did you go for? 50mm or 70mm?

Oil level level sight glass in the dry sump tank
Oil / water interchange temperature thing.
Oil water/pressure gauge.

- what are the above? (a gauge replacement for a stock one?)

Thanks 🙂

Edited by Brownmonster

You asking about my nob length 🙂 (longer of course)

The sight glass means you can see the oil level without taking the nose off.  I had it fitted to the existing tank, basically two spigots, top/bottom with a glass tube between them so the oil level is visible.

Oil/water thingy, basically the oil filter has a water circuit in the filter housing so it allows the water temp to bring the oil temp up faster, I think it probably regulates it as well.  Premier Power provided the kit and fit them to their race engines.  And provide a gauge to replace the existing oil pressure gauge.  One half shows pressure, the other half shows temp, as measured in the oil filter/sump, so basically the oil temp at the bottom of the dry sump.

These last bits will be fitted once its run in and when I fit the Throttle Bodies.

Result ! Just been told Silverstone have managed to rebook my car in on the 21st and will be calling up each day to see if there is an earlier slot due to a cancelation.

So by then it will probably/hopefully have stopped raining 🙂

• Like 1

Just as a thought, new disks need to be bedded in as well so just fitting old pads might not have done the trick.

But on the other hand it's pretty easy the get the pads and disks nice and toasty with a bit of left foot braking on the way to the test.  That would do the trick

No idea what compound it was, whatever the kit came with.  Bedding pads / discs in is pretty easy as you say, just time and experience.

Im sure they know how it needs to be done.  They have said they will sort it for me, so Im just waiting now for the retest on the 21st, or cancellation, to happen.