Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A plea to anyone using clear lens Caterham rear lights....

On the last two Chippy runs we have followed members running stock Caterham lights with clear lens ad coloured bulbs... 

Even under the canopy of a tree lined road the brake lights are only just visible on open roads in bright sunshine they are invisible..... Actually they are utter shite... 

There is a reason these will fail an IVA and as such are not road legal... You are putting yourselves at risk... And if your arse ended the other car will have reason to claim against you... 

Please spend a few pennies and get some decent lights.... 

I can't remember last years member but this year was a 620 white with dark purple rear wings. MY620R S reg istr. 

A third high level brake light would be a worthy inclusion too. 

*wavey*

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

I think that this, irrespective of other lighting, is the first upgrade any owner should make.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

On the last two Chippy runs we have followed members running stock Caterham lights with clear lens ad coloured bulbs... 

Even under the canopy of a tree lined road the brake lights are only just visible on open roads in bright sunshine they are invisible.....

Can this be made any better with red LED lamps under clear covers?

Jonathan

If your meaning LED bulbs then your in the same boat the the lights are no longer E marked... 

The replacement LED bulbs I've seen are pretty poor too. 

The car in front of the 620 I was following had Caterham new (albeit very expensive) LED rear light which were very effective and noticable. 

• Like 1

Just now, graearea said:

this as a cheap replacement?

I'm nearly ready to start selling the cowls to fit the cheap lights to the caterham wings.

[ahem] value-for-money, inexpensive, economic, reasonable maybe…. not cheap!  🤔😳🤣🤣

• Leadership Team
5 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

If your meaning LED bulbs then your in the same boat the the lights are no longer E marked... 

The replacement LED bulbs I've seen are pretty poor too. 

The car in front of the 620 I was following had Caterham new (albeit very expensive) LED rear light which were very effective and noticable. 

I’ve been banging on about this for years but it falls on deaf ears, LED bulbs in standard Caterham rear lights are a poor substitute for the o/e incandescent bulbs and are in some cases are plain unsafe. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Before upgrading to Caterham’s LED lights last year I used to run clear light clusters.

But…I had JAL’s LEDs behind them and a third high level brake light on the cross bar of the roll cage.

The above set up works well and provides the visibility required.

Edited by LouisFeakes

Posted (edited)

Pretty poor photos I’m afraid, but I put my bike in for comparison. One side lights, one with brake lights. Photos taken in bright sunshine and don’t really do the luminosity any favours. I’d suggest they were equally as bright, the only issue with the 7 is, they’re so low. Hence, like may suggest, I’d be better to support with a high level brake light.

IMG_0976.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg

Edited by W33SVN

On 25/05/2024 at 10:26, 7 wonders of the world said:

Even under the canopy of a tree lined road the brake lights are only just visible on open roads in bright sunshine they are invisible..... Actually they are utter shite... 

There is a reason these will fail an IVA and as such are not road legal... You are putting yourselves at risk... And if your arse ended the other car will have reason to claim against you... 

Please spend a few pennies and get some decent lights.... 

I can't remember last years member but this year was a 620 white with dark purple rear wings. MY620R S reg istr. 

*wavey*

Thanks so much for this post, like many I was unaware of this and my car recently passed its MOT but I’m now going to add the LED light cards. I already have a high level 3rd brake light but it’s then hidden when I am running my half hood.

Posted (edited)

The standard Caterham "clear lens LED bulb" rear lights on my 2020 310R aren't good, but pass MOT no problem.

I fitted a high level brake light in the centre of the track day roll bar cross. I've not done anything to the original lights yet, but I figure the high level light is the one that will get seen anyway.

Edited by GulfSeven

Couldn't agree with this more. My clear lenses were terrible and made worse with an LED bulb (not the JAL panel LEDs). The Caterham rear LED lights are expensive but are extremely effective, personally I think they also look fantastic but I know not everyone agrees.

I also fitted the high level light after my wife telling me she didn't see me braking due to sitting so much higher in the car behind me. But obviously I told her thats because she wasn't paying appropriate attention when driving as the Caterham is perfectly safe.. 😉 

IMG_8993.jpeg

I looked at lots of options to avoid drilling my rear panel and refitting the Land Rover lights during my rebuild.  In the end I went for the Caterham LEDs.  When I first saw them I thought they looked too modern, but they are growing on me and I'm pleased with the purchase, despite the outrageous cost...