Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shift lights - wiring in a new unit

Ainsley

My mate has bought a shift light for his 420R and wants to wire it in tonight.  Of course, he has asked for my help thinking I will know.

I did tell him to just look at the rev counter, but he says he cant see it as the steering wheel is in the way.  I suggested rotating the rev counter so but he is fixated on some shift lights, so I gave up suggesting a non technical solution.

Can anyone point me to some instructions or let me know what wires go where ?

That way I can pretend to be super knowledgeable and way cleverer than I actually am 🙂

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

That way I can pretend to be super knowledgeable and way cleverer than I actually am

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it."

: - )

Jonathan

Mmmm, not sure.  He may have given he just bought them from Oakmore, so they should come with them all.  But then again, when he reads you can see his lips move 🙂

Yeah, that's a good idea.

He is desperately trying to add some "extra" bling to his car before I turn up with mine on Saturday.  Poor chap has already spend several hundred pounds fitting the new LED rear lights like mine.  

I haven't told him about my SPA mirrors yet, or my extended heater nob 🙂

I'm going to drop into the conversation casual remarks about fictional engine mods using shampoo science word salad to send him off on a wild Google search later.

HAHA love it.

Those rear LED lights are a step up from the old ones though for sure, I was happy they came as default now.

I've got some spas ready to go on post IVA as well (along side the aluminium eccles mounts from another thread, and also some of those DPR adapters to stop them being awkward to move). I do however also have a brand new pair of momotek carbons that I don't want, so if he or anyone else is interested in them, let me know 🙂.

Hi Ainsley - the wiring for the Aces is very straightforward. The Aces control box comes with spade connectors ready to plug into the loom. There is a +12V supply, earth and tacho feed terminated in spade connectors as part of the standard 420 loom. Mine were tie wrapped together just under the dash near the ingnition switch. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact colour coding but it was pretty obvious. As I mentioned in my blog, I wasnot too keen on drilling a really big hole in scuttle to pass the connector from the light box to the control box - so I opened the light box and unsoldered all the connections. This meant I only needed to drill a 5mm hole - but of course it also meant I had to resolder it all back together once the wire was threaded. The standard Aces kit comes with excessively long wires (if you plan to put the control box under the dash on the drivers side - which is a good idea so that you can reach the buttons while driving) so you can also trim them to length to make it a neater job.

Have to say they are great fun and work really well once you get used to seeing them in your peripheral vision.

Cheers, Alastair