Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommend a number plate supplier (for a legal small plate)

Miker7

I need a new number plate. I'd like to replace like for like or a little smaller. The current rigid plastic plate is 440mm wide. From reading the gov website i think i can go as small as 420mm and be legal.

Are their any number plate suppliers that you'd recommend? I've done lots of googling and they seem to claim "smaller" but not say how small or say smaller is around 470mm.

Is their any reason if i could get the BS code and their post code onto the middle of the plate I couldn't just trim one down with a hacksaw and file?

(nb cheap is also good, i'm tighter than dogs bum in a vets).

Ok, they all seem to be full of show (illegal) plates. I'm specifically after a legal plate that is as small as legally possible which i've calculated to be around 420mm or a little larger like my current plate at 440mm (7 digit current style number plate)

proplates have a wide range of sizes and whilst they mainly do show plates they do road legal ones too - when I raised an enquiry regarding dimensions they were really helpful and confirmed for me that fully road legal lettering for my plate fitted on a smaller width than standard, so maybe give them a try?

7 minutes ago, Mark Rowe said:

I used https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/ and purchased their 330mm x 89mm selecting UK Legal and Legal Details

Thats interesting as legally the plate letter needs to be 79mm tall and the gap above and below the letter is 11mm making the minimum height 101mm.

INF104 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Appreciate i'm being overly cautious, i just want a plate thats approx. the width of the original caterham plate i'm taking off.

2 minutes ago, Miker7 said:

Thats interesting as legally the plate letter needs to be 79mm tall and the gap above and below the letter is 11mm making the minimum height 101mm.

INF104 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Appreciate i'm being overly cautious, i just want a plate thats approx. the width of the original caterham plate i'm taking off.

I understand your concern - I have seen some 7's without any front number plates.

Mine is a normal plate I cut down to the legal minimum 11mm borders…IMG_6736.jpeg.be441d5df52003475687fca2b6a898f7.jpeg

which does mean it now lacks the BS number that would’ve been in the bottom right-hand corner but does have the plate-maker’s details (a subtle “my other car’s a…”!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a short plate from JDM Plates (invoiced as “Small, Legal, Printed Number Plates For All Vehicles - White (Front), 7 Dig Plate With 1”).

Here’s a before/after compared to my (damaged) original Caterham plate:

IMG_1740.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

I've ordered one which in theory is 420mm wide and should be the legal minimum for my plate, using the legal font and having the legalese in the bottom right corner. Slightly concerned they've not asked to see any evidence that I own the plate I'm buying. Photos will be incoming for once its delivered.

3 hours ago, olly said:

I bought a short plate from JDM Plates (invoiced as “Small, Legal, Printed Number Plates For All Vehicles - White (Front), 7 Dig Plate With 1”).

Here’s a before/after compared to my (damaged) original Caterham plate:

IMG_1740.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Yes, much prettier without the excess border.

Jonathan