Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres: How many years can they be kept for before they become unsafe

James N

Hi,

After having delivery of my kit in in summer of 2018 I had it IVA'd few weeks back and will soon be go out on the road when registration comes though.

The tyres have been kept on their sides in the garage for the last 6 years and seem fine however I'm wondering if the tyres have perished or lost their grip/safety over the last 6 years.

Some people are saying they should be fine, some say I should give them a go & feel what they are like & change them if needed & some say I should change them.

Is there a lifespan for unused tyres & is there any science to tell me I should definitely not use them?

tks 

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0628.jpeg

Posted (edited)

FYI - I contacted Avon via https://avontyres.com/en-gb/contact/ & their response was...

For tyre life much can depend on how the tyre has been exposed to elements, stored, either on or off the vehicle and in general treated. The seller will be able to further advise you on this.

Once fitted to the vehicle for passenger, SUV tyres and light commercial tyres Goodyear advises removal after 6 years of fitment to the vehicle.

You can also confirm the age of the tyre by the last  four digits on the tyre DOT code as explained in the attached

So my tires were manufactured in Melksham, Wiltshire in 2017 & probably are ok if I drive sensibly as were stored out of elements on their side in garage.  Should not go racing in them & I probably should change them to just be safe...

Useful site to show manufacture codes https://wfirm.com/complete-list-of-tire-dot-plant-codes/

Dot.jpg

Avon Tyres Motorsport - Lotus Seven Club - 2021 Edition.pdf

Edited by James N

There's a change to tyres when they are first used.  If they are new they can be stored in proper sunlight free conditions for quite a long time.  But once they are heat cycled that starts the decline.

When were yours first used?

Their decline in performance is gradual, its not like the suddenly become rubber death traps.

Tyre companies don't want to get sued and do want to sell tyres.

I would drive about on them and see what they are like.  Personally Id wear them out before spending money on new ones.

I watched an interesting comparison between 10 year old motorcycle tyres vs new ones.  Semi pro motorcycle rider set some timed laps on track on both to find out about old tyres being terrible was true/noticeable/worth changing.  He felt and timed the difference, it was a tiny difference.  He was a very good rider on a race track where any tiny difference would be noticeable.  On the road, with is massive variety of conditions and the fact you are not trying to balance on the very edge of grip for a lap time, I reckon its fine to just wear them out before changing them. 

At least go for a proper drive and see if you end up in a hedge 🙂

• Like 1

• Area Representative

If wrapped in at least a cloth, stored in a dry place, & out of direct sunlight the tyres should be OK to drive on. After that length of time I would imagine that the mould release fluid has dissipated !

The tyres will be harder than as new six years ago so they will need to be slowly bedded in. 

After about 300 miles I would check for any signs of side wall crazing or splitting between the tread blocks. Then continue to do these checks at fairly regular intervals until satisfied all is well.

Thanks all.  I learnt things from this post & when reaching out to Avon.  Tyres were first used few weeks back on the way up to Gillingham for IVA & were in dark garage for 6 years.  I think they should be ok from what most people say & will let you know if I end up in a hedge!:)

Tyres do degrade with time.

How long depends on exposure to UV light, temperature mechanical stress etc.

I'd agree you should try them carefully and see how they are.

Personally I strongly disagree with the suggestion that you should keep them until they wear out!

I bought a car built 9 years previously, new tyres, 6,000 miles, loads of tread.

Handling was poor, dangerous in the wet.

Best money I ever spent was 4 new tyres.

They are the only point of contact with you and the road!

I would think that 6 year old tyres that have only just been used for the first time will likely be ok for a few years.  I've got some 2008 tyres that are decidedly not very good, although not nearly as bad as the 28 year old tyres I tried!

I've found that tyres that have lost their grip are very obvious.

• Area Representative

Further to this subject. I purchased a set of CR500 way before they were required. I wrapped them & stored in the garage loft. They were eventually fitted three years later - I underestimated how quickly the original tyres would wear out !

I know that period is only half of those in this thread but when fitted they were fine & lasted another two years without any drama.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I've driven the car for 500 miles & also been out on a track day and the tires seem totally fine, I've not ended up in a bush or in the gravel & had no situation of any slip.  I was a bit worried initially because their age is much older than many recommend.  I presume as there are so many factors which can degrade tyres there is the recommended 3 year life, however if they have been stored flat and in dark garage then that is ok.  

• Like 1

My son currently works for a speciality tyre fitter that does a good portion of their business fitting track tyres to high-end cars and supplying r-compound tyres and slicks to the enthusiast community.

His take on my 1750 date code (end of 2017) RE71R tyres was that they were still OK for track use with the rubber not having hardened too much and no cracking anywhere. These tyres have been the 195/50-15 road tyres that I haven't managed to wear out, so I thought I would use them for damp track purposes. I used them on a mixture of wet and dry track last weekend and they performed much better than expected for such an old tyre. Not nearly as much grip in the dry as the 235/45-13 AR-1 rear tyres I normally use, but definitely better on a wet track.