Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First track day, what do I need to know?

Hello 👋 - I've booked castle combe on July 19th. It will be my first track day. I'm running a 420r, what should I know before I go?

Would it be wise to book in for new tyres and a service shortly afterwards? Take some spare fuel? All advice welcome!

Thanks 👍 

• Area Representative

Myles

Fuel is available down the road, best to pop out at lunchtime and top up.  A torque wrench for checking wheel nuts, tyre pressure gauge would help.  I usually take spare throttle cable, exhaust bobbin, engine oil to top up if needed, some masking tape in case anything needs temporary fixing onto the car. You can take the kitchen sink but you can guarantee whatever may fail you won’t have it, although someone else might.  

As for booking it in for a service, hopefully you’ve done that before but it’s always worth getting the car checked over after by someone who knows what they are doing after some hard track miles. Caterhams are built for the circuit. Tyres wear a lot less than those heavy tin tops.

Enjoy it.

Nick

Check your tyre pressures straight away after the first few sessions. On ZZR's I aim for 25psi rear & 28psi front. 

Check your oil level before you start & after every couple of sessions.

Get some instruction.

Watch your mirrors & don't hold up faster cars. 

Enjoy the day & build your speed up gradually. 

Go at a pace you are comfortable with.  It’s not a race and if anybody has a problem with how slow they think you are driving  it’s their problem not yours. 

Also stay hydrated and don’t feel you have to spend lap after lap pounding around. It’s tiring. 

Finally, don’t put the handbrake on when you come back into the pits. Just chock the wheels if necessary. 

Andrew's advice is really good - do not feel pressured by other (faster) cars. I really felt that on my first few times, but don't - this is a club day, for enjoyment and everyone has equal right to drive at speeds they feel comfortable with. The faster car must only overtake when safe to do so (on a straight) and with permission. 

Bring something to store all your kit - the car must be empty.