Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Flooring..!!

Andy Woodward

I have had my car for about a year now and as an ex Academy car it it slightly different to those with nice plush seats etc.

My question for those in the know is..

The drivers side has an aluminium flooring insert in which just lifts in and out, and looks about half inch thick.

The passenger side has nothing just the very thin floor.

Ok this might make the car lighter but does is mean my passengers are as safe.

also this stuff goes right under the seats so its not just to take the weight of the feet in the footwell.

Sorry to ask a question which you all probably know the answer to, but i dont and if you dont know .....ask.

Thanks in advance

Please excuse my niaivity

Woody

Y 7 ARW

it is honeycomb (aluminium plate with conertinered aluminium between it) its to protect the driver against wounds from things puncturing the floor of the car youll also find it on the rear skin of the car (if the car was built properly) to stop the rear lights going through the tank in a shunt and below and above the tank to prevent a split tank in an accident. when preparing racecars, we used to get the honeycomb from caterham, but im pretty sure it comes in set shapes to suit the car, so you may have to adapt it to suit the passenger side, but the weight is negligible for the amount of extra safety provided to the passenger.

Car was built by Caterham, so I suppose that classifies as properly.

The floor plan looks like a mirror of driver/passengerside so presumably i can get some and place in upside down.

Yes/no?

can I buy it anywhere else? does Caterham sell it as a part?

Woody

Y 7 ARW

Hi Andy,

Most cars run without this, so it is really up to you as to whether you fit some in the passenger side/how often do you carry one?

Caterham should have it off-the-shelf for the passenger side. I also think Simon Ray found a source of the material direct, but you would then need to cut it to size and may end up with a load of bits left over (so not save anything).

Pays your money, takes your choice I guess - personally.... Fit some Yoko 021's instead, I presume you still have the Academy Avon 322 (or whatever they are), you'll then be able to avoid or stop far better/safer. This is my opinion and not that of the club, etc, etc...

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬