Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Filter O Rings

Wrightpayne

I changed the fuel filter on my ‘98 K series car yesterday. I made three observations…

1) the new Bosch filter 0986 450 119 has an identical sticker on it compared to the Mann 612/2 I took off.

2) the grommet where the fuel hose passes through the boot floor metalwork had perished and partly disappeared. I replaced with a 20mm electrical open grommet, cut so I could get it around the hose then carefully poked into place with a small well used screwdriver.

3) the two metal fittings attached to the filter seemed to have tiny O rings.

On this last point, I dont recall reading anything on blatchat about their replacement? What is the POBC thinking on this? All went back together OK and no leaks but if they should be changed as part of a filter swap I’d like to be prepared for next time and help others do the same!

IanIMG_2447.jpeg.498d38b7ee7f2233a514d83fc5f2e80b.jpegIMG_2445.jpeg.84ccdba29c4124ec0410d570bc7b2ecb.jpegIMG_2448.jpeg.f4fb1963f808d8787bb4e48b7370fac4.jpegIMG_2446.jpeg.aceacfded94a927d00ba408404649311.jpeg

Edited by Wrightpayne

• 2 months later...

Ian, where did you get the replacement filter from and please can you confirm the number of o rings that are needed if replacing? I assume 2No. Also what seals the brass nut to the steel adapter is this just a tapered thread?

I have not changed one of these yet, any tips on order to undo things, remove brass top fitting from adapter, then bottom (mine has the same fitting top and bottom) then remove steel adapters?

The pipes into the adaptors are flanged - bit like a brake pipe connection but bigger diameter - no extra seals. 

I took off the fuel cap momentarily to remove any pressure in the tank then a bit of rag around the first connection you undo (as the pressure releases from the pipe). The top adaptor and bottom ‘J’ pipe stay with the filter. There is an O ring on each so 2 req’d.

The bracket is a phaff to release as you need to get your hand down the back of the seat.

Filter was from Euro Car Parts.