Click here if you are having website access problems ×

It's Hang up Helmet Time

Roger Cumming

Hi Everyone,

Momentous moment, but I have now decided to retire gracefully from competition, not an easy decision, as I am sure you will all understand. However the drug has kept me at it for 22 years, it's difficult to kick and I shall miss it enormously and of course you lot, but it now seems the right time, I am in my 79 year, although that has nothing to do with it really. In truth I am actually 35 after all.

I will say it has been a fantastic 22 years with all of you, many really good friends, the banter, the support when needed always available and there have been a few moments!! Aah, several I have to say. So a big thank you to all for that. I shall keep in touch and follow the results, old habits impossible to kick and will support Adam whenever possible, who continues with the little car.

Good luck to everyone for the coming season.

Best wishes

Roger

• Like 3

• Leadership Team

Sorry to hear that Roger. I have enjoyed chatting with you in the paddock when our paths have crossed. You are really fortunate to have kept going with it to such an age 😁.

Hello Roger,

So sorry to hear that you are packing in competing, especially after your performance at Anglesey last season. Viewing from the pit wall, you appeared to have lost none of your speed or finesse. You and I have conducted our sprinting and hill climbing careers together, and I will miss the catch-up at the end of each  run.  I hope to see you in the paddock at as many events as possible this year (though moving house will disrupt my season a little). And I must get in touch to discuss getting the fuel tank sender swapped!

Very best wishes,

Paul

Hi Roger. Very sorry to hear this news, you have been a constant presence in the paddock throughout my 22 years of competition. I will miss your enthusiasm and paddock banter. Look forward to seeing you regularly as driver coach and mechanic for Adam. 

• Leadership Team
Posted (edited)

Hi Roger - sorry to see you hanging up your helmet but it's been a long and illustrious sprint career.  Seeing as you still carry the yellow trowel in your profile picture, I do hope you won't mind my posting what I think was the funniest series of pictures from Loton in '07 (something tells me you may remember the occasion!)  To anyone who wasn't there, be assured that the car (and Roger) emerged completely unscathed 🙂  

DSC_0331.JPG

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0336.JPG

DSC_0337.JPG

DSC_0339.JPG

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0343.JPG

Edited by Mcalvert

Best wishes Roger for your retirement, it does allow you to consider other activities in the summer months - but the championship was was brilliant, made better by all the characters involved😁

Mike

Hi Roger.

Another one bites the dust!

I think that makes us less than 5 original competitors from the first year of the Championship.

Although I have never had the pleasure of a class 2 entry you have provided us all with many memorable moments.

i am certain you will be remembered for many memorable “incidents “ 😜

As Michael posted though.  This is my fav.

image.jpeg.46745f047b57d5d6a8bafc904a60dd6a.jpeg

I won’t be around much this year due to new horizons but hope to see you at some point later in the year.

if I still have the pleasure of competing at 79 years young I will be very very proud.

• 1 month later...

Hi Roger,

You will be sorely missed on the track, but we hope to catch up with you regularly in the paddock!

Thank you for being so welcoming and generous with your advice to Debbie and I.

Ian & Debbie.

• 1 month later...