Click here if you are having website access problems ×

20 spline x 7/8" clutch alignment tool (crossflow)

Gridgway

I'm wondering what people use as a clutch alignment tool.  For the type 9, I have got a handy spare gearbox input shaft (no idea where from).

I bought the plastic universal one which (just about) holds the clutch plate against the cover and allows you to manually line it up.  I have no idea how accurate you have to be though.  Feels a bit hit and miss.  The problem is that I am fitting a clutch to a spare race engine so I want to know that it's going to be lined up properly in case we end up doing a rush engine change.

A knackered input shaft would do the trick (provided it's not knackered at the flywheel end #obvs!)

I always use an old first motion shaft (input shaft for the younger members), cannot get on with the plastic carp ones as they allow too much play and don’t align properly. R&R always have a few old ones hanging about. 

I use a bit of 15mm copper water pipe which is a snug fit in the Ford spigot bearing with masking tape wrapped round it until it’s a snug fit in the clutch plate. Done me well for several clutches over the years