Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine offside mount?

Hi, I'm doing the service on my 2000 1.6k and seen that the silencer has a slight split in the inlet to can weld. Checking the engine mounts with a jack under the sump the offside mount metal threaded boss that the 19mm bolt, bolts into pulls out of the rubber. Thought I'd see how easy it is to replace by slackening the big bolt BUT the metal boss in the rubber just spins round. (bugger)
Do I change it in the following manner?
1) put the chassis on stands & gently support the engine.
2) remove the mounting bracket to engine via the 2x hex bolts
3) undo the 2x 12mm mount to chassis bolts and remove the bracket and mount in one piece
4) clamp the mount with the rubber in my big vice and undo the 19mm bolt (or will I need to cut the rubber to expose the threaded boss to clamp it better)?
Think this probably happened when I had a clutch change a couple of years ago? as I seem to remember them saying they'd had a problem with a mount.
Anything I've omitted or best practice? please give comments, suggestions or ideas, whilst I await arrival of a new mount.
Thanks rog

Consider finding and using the central exhaust mounting bush. Approx 803-805mm from the rear bush in the same lower chassis rail. Assuming you can attach a suitable bracket to the exhaust to mount on a bracket/bobbin fitted at this location. If not supported centrally, the inlet to the silencer is a common fracture point as the exhaust bounces up and down between the manifold and rear bobbin.

• Area Representative

There’s no need to put the car on axle stands provided you can get a jack under the sump, although personally I would put it on stands as it saves bending down and giving me a bad back. I think you’ll find the long bolts are actually 1/2 inch unf with. 3/4 inch head (19mm spanner will fit). I only mention it in case you damage the bolt removing it and need to replace it.