Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CTek charger

Ainsley

Ainsley, I have CTEK's and use the bike setting on mine.  My reasoning (which may be wrong) is that the current charging the battery is lower so more gentle on the battery.  I think a battery that is in poor condition (sulphated) can benefit from higher current charge rate as it helps penetrate the sulphate allowing the battery to charge better and retain its voltage.  IMHO. 🙂

Typical “standard” Caterham factory fitted Banner battery is rated 30Ah, the alternative factory “standard” Odyssey (AGM) is rated at 16Ah.
Based on the CTEK recommended settings (see below) personally I’ve always used the “car” setting or “AGM” setting as appropriate for a number of years with no I’ll effect.

AE427F85-34F0-4095-A0A1-F3B97B6D9984.jpeg

Edited by Benton
Clarification of text

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

On my Ctek charger I have a setting for a car battery and a motorcycle one. 

Given the battery in my 420 is pretty small, should I use the car or battery setting ?

What's the battery?

Jonathan

The Banner battery commonly used in Sevens has a capacity of 30 A hr, as upthread, and is wet.

Jonathan

PS: With a battery of this type it's a good idea to check the fluid levels in the cells as part of the routine.

PPS: Some Members suggest not leaving it on the smart charger all of the time that's in the garage, but many of us do. 

If you haven’t got one, it’s worth getting/fitting an isolator switch of some sort so you can stop the parasitic drain of the immobiliser that potentially can drain the battery.  Banners once drained are tricky to resuscitate.

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

I doubt it really makes much difference.  My Ctek is so old that it has no options, similarly my Accumate.  They have been fine for both a Banner on one car and Odyssey on the other 

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

I use "car" on my Banner although I do not use it for long periods. Mainly stick it on for two-six hours before driving when the weather is cold and it hasn't been started for a week. I also use a battery cut-off switch to protect from battery drain.