Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Putting the EV in Seven - Suspension Logger Project Results

• Area Representative

Hi all,

a quick note to publish the initial results of my Suspension Logger Project. 

Here's the image you want to see, but there's more information on the project below:

image.thumb.png.f4d02284125bc4f08adfff6a07bd8916.png

The plot above shows time on the horizontal axis and  suspension travel on the vertical axis. The suspension travel is measured from the TOF sensor, so increasing numbers on the plot mean the suspension ears are moving downwards and decreasing numbers mean it's moving up. The plot above is of a short part of a trip out in my 420R. The whole trip can be seen below... you can clearly see me getting into the car (twice) at the start, and then getting out at the end. The first plot is towards the end of the one below...

image.thumb.png.d029c6bcdbf5b679d39ac448b971b94f.png

There's clearly a lot of noise in the plots, but I got what I wanted out of it, and that's the suspension compresses about 40mm and extends by about 20mm. I'm probably not a lot better off than the maximum allowable travel for the suspension which is +/-50mm, but it was worth this mini-project just to tell me that.

Background

The idea behind the project was to try and get a ball-park limit on how far the suspension travels on a Seven. I need to know this so I can reliably set limits on the rise/drop angle of two new drive shafts I think I'll be needing in my project. If the real-world rise/drop is too much then the drive-shafts will pop out of the tripod end assemblies.. and that wouldn't be a pretty result!

The project electronics consists of a few Adafruit Feather prototype boards and about 400 lines of Arduino code: 

• RP2040 CanBus CPU board (didn't need to be the CanBus version, but that's what I had to hand)
  • VL53L0X Time-of-flight sensor board
  • 128x64 OLED Feather Wing (Just so I could see what the boards were doing and to give me a few switches to start/stop recording etc)
  • Adalogger Feather Wing (with SD Card to record results)

After getting the software and hardware running I also 3D printed a widget to attach the T-o-F sensor to my car. Image below:

image.thumb.jpeg.5b107bcdfc54e147ffe2029b4316cd73.jpeg

Here's a link to a short video showing my waving my hand over the Time-of-flight sensor.