Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series fail to start

It might be that the wiring to or the cam sensor isn’t working. I think it’s the same on the mems 3 as we did on the Elise that if it doesn’t see the cam sensor and so can’t sync up, it lets it fire and then stops after a few moments. 

I don't know about MEMS but I've coded open source engine management. If we don't get cam signal we run batch injection and ignition. Id assume Rover did the same as a limp home mode (to be honest it will run almost as well so it's hardly a limp mode).

Silly question, did the engine spin over faster or slower? I'm wondering if you've started and stopped it in the garage within a few seconds if you've got bore wash. Therefore no compression. It's easy to tell. With a full battery the engine cranks with a nu-nu-nu-nu sound as the starter spins and hits compression. If you've got bore wash you've got no compression so it spins really fast, more like a constant whiz sound.

UPDATE

well, I guess it all learning with a new car. But after 6 hours on charge, my Caterham started and ran just as it used to!  

Never had a car that would turn and fire but not run like this (apart from mk1 Golf with injector air leak problem) 

I obviously need to investigate why the 12v apparent cig lighter is maybe discharging battery.   It’s a new battery (I have previous owners invoice) and it was less than a week being not on trickle charger.  

thanks for all your help this morning.  You can imagine my total guttedness at car failing on my first blat.  But I just managed a 20 min blat just now before the dark. These are just the best possible cars aren’t they?  Even with the odd quirk. 😃

thanks again everyone 

• Like 1

I'd agree with JK. Get your voltage measurements.

Is the battery fluids topped up? The battery isn't the biggest so an immobiliser will drain them in not much time. The drop in voltage on cranking can be enough to reset the immobiliser.

• Like 1

I used to connect a battery conditioner (CTEK) to my k-series when it was in the garage for more than a few days.  The battery when I bought it was in poor shape, but I got several more years out of it doing that.