Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series fail to start

Went to take my new k-series supersport out for its first blat in the sun today and it won’t start.  😭

Only had it a couple of weeks and it’s started/ran fine in the garage. But today it turns over, fires and dies.  Seems flooded maybe as it will not restart (fire) unless left for a few mins.  

I have plenty of fuel.  Bit in the dark with k-series as being a VW guy for last 30 years!  

any quick pointers?

Posted (edited)

Good morning

That's an unusual variation.

How long does it run for after firing?

Does it die suddenly or gradually? Try removing the fuel filler cap and seeing if that makes a difference.

Jonathan

PS: Do you have a multimeter?

Edited by Jonathan Kay

Jonathan. It runs for 2-3 seconds. If I pump throttle it dies and does not catch. 

I got it on charge now. Battery by no means flat, but needs a boost.  It’s a new battery and starter btw (previous owner)

Your current (!) problem sounds more like fuel than electrics, but many Sevens run into starting problems and I recommend routinely checking battery oomph in the same way as checking fluid levels:

* Turn the multimeter on and set the range to 20 V DC or similar
* Put one probe on each battery terminal
* Measure the voltage across the battery at rest
* And the minimum voltage as it cranks (so that the starter is acting as a big load)
* And then at 3,000 rpm (which checks the alternator and charging system).

And report those back here for interpretation. : - )

Jonathan

• Like 1

Just now, Roadsport06 said:

Has the immobilizer disabled? If not you'll get fuel on first start to run for a few seconds before there is no fuel

I thought this too.   Made sure I clicked it on/off (tbh now think that I was not setting the immobiliser before). I’ll try it again with spare fob now 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Roadsport06 said:

Has the immobilizer disabled? If not you'll get fuel on first start to run for a few seconds before there is no fuel

Will a K series fire if the immobiliser is immobilising?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

Just now, Tvrtastic911 said:

I thought this too.   Made sure I clicked it on/off (tbh now think that I was not setting the immobiliser before). I’ll try it again with spare fob now 

In general you need to check the immobiliser, the fuel cut-off inertia switch, and whether you can hear the fuel pump joining in.

Do you already have the wiring diagrams and layouts of fuses and relays? If you need these please send me a Private Message with your email address.

Jonathan

I have a k series also, it sounds like the idle air control valve is not working correctly, usually coincides with a battery that is not fully charged. You could try resetting this. (Ignition on, press throttle 5 times (fully open each time) ignition off) Then try and restart. I am going into the garage in a few mins - happy to speak on the phone if you PM me your tel no if helpful.

38 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

In general you need to check the immobiliser, the fuel cut-off inertia switch, and whether you can hear the fuel pump joining in.

Do you already have the wiring diagrams and layouts of fuses and relays? If you need these please send me a Private Message with your email address.

Jonathan

Sorry no wiring diags. Wear hearing aids so hard for me to tell / locate sound of fuel pump. But there is a solenoid type sound when i switch on ignition that is not there when i remove the fuel pump fuse. 

i fear this may have been caused by me as in the week i reatched disconnected wire going to the live of battery, in order to make the 12v cig sockets that were not working from previous owner. Did not know why this was not attached.  I presumed was missed when battery replaced. 

12 minutes ago, Orange said:

I have a k series also, it sounds like the idle air control valve is not working correctly, usually coincides with a battery that is not fully charged. You could try resetting this. (Ignition on, press throttle 5 times (fully open each time) ignition off) Then try and restart. I am going into the garage in a few mins - happy to speak on the phone if you PM me your tel no if helpful.

Sorry. This did not work. 

currently not even fireing 

4 minutes ago, Tvrtastic911 said:

i fear this may have been caused by me as in the week i reatched disconnected wire going to the live of battery, in order to make the 12v cig sockets that were not working from previous owner. Did not know why this was not attached.  I presumed was missed when battery replaced. 

Very interesting.

I suggest doing those three battery voltage tests. 

And inspecting and wiggling all of the relevant wiring and connections, including the battery and engine earths.

And if you have a battery that can be topped up checking the fluid level in the cells.

Jonathan

PS: If you have a non-factory accessory / cigar lighter socket check that it is appropriately fused.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

Offer of a call still there - mine does something very similar sometimes, usually caused by a low battery but I can always get it going.

Ok. Im going to hope to hell that this is the case. 
im going to leave it for a few hours charging as I’ve certainly turned it over about 30 tomes now and its only worse. 
when i ‘fixed’ the cig lighter it was monday and ive not had it in charge since then.  Perhaps its drained….

never had a car that drains in a week though, especially after turning over so strongly   😒

is there a way of checking the fuel cut off switch, other that jist pressing it to reset?

Have you reset the immobiliser after you disconnected the battery? By setting it (rapid flashing) and then unsettling it? It sometimes takes several presses of the setting button.

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Have you reset the immobiliser after you disconnected the battery? By setting it (rapid flashing) and then unsettling it? It sometimes takes several presses of the setting button.

Tbh didn’t really disconnect the battery. Once I identified the disconnected wire I just reattached it to live terminal.  But I probably disconnected it when checking all the fuses to see if 12v was wired into them. 

On/offed the immobiliser several times now and it seems to be setting correctly.  

I've got a family lunch booked now, so I’ll be moping into a pint for a few hours, pondering all your replies.  

Thanks for the support all. Really appreciate.  

3 minutes ago, OldAndrewE said:

Just a thought, perhaps there is a reason the cig lighter was not connected, i.e. something wrong with the installation that causes problems

My thought exactly!  But I’ve already taken the 12c socket off the battery again with no joy. 

36 minutes ago, jody391 said:

Have you tried pressing the inertia switch? Mine triggered when dropping it down from the jack quite fast once.

Inertia switch?  This the fuel cutoff?  Yes i pressed this diaphragm.  Its not had a drop or jolt though.