Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Restoring the colour of the boot cover - canvas type

Gridgway

The boot cover on my 80s Caterham is very faded although in good functional condition.  It's the canvas type rather than the more modern vinyl type material.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how to restore a better black colour?

Thanks Graham

Yes, looking further there do seem to be quite a lot of products of similar nature.  Many of them say use their cleaner first then their proofer after.  Looks like about £50 worth of product.  I wonder how much a new cover costs!

I used Renovo on the roof of my Audi A4 and it brought it up well. The first time I used it with their cleaner and then proofer. It doesn't last for ever and I ended up redoing it every 2-3 years, to be fair, when its parked in the sun and weather you can't expect miracles.

Once I'd used up the original bottles of cleaner and proofer I switched to soapy water and a brush to clean it and Fabsil to proof it and just used the Renovo black die which seemed to work ok.

You shouldn't need a litre bottle, I would say the 500ml would be ample for at least two lots of treatment on a boot cover.

One more thing, don't even think about using a jet washer on it! No amount of die will ever get the Mark's out!

Good luck

Neil.