Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temperature gauge accuracy & how to change it and temperamental fuel gauge

Miker7

Went out for a little run at lunch time. My temperature gauge is reporting around 80 degrees but when I connect to the odb2 port its reporting around 95. As I'm a computer nerd i'm assuming the odb2 port is more accurate. Any suggestions on how I can get the gauge to report the temperature more accurately or prove which is the correct (accurate) temperature?

Also my fuel gauge has a mind of its own, its frequently reporting empty when i start the car. 20 mins into a run it decided to report just over half full. 

Cars a 01 k series.

I've been meaning to reach out to him as I know he helped the previous owner of my car out, id like to understand more what he did. I'm also interested in speaking to him as I've developed the code for speeduino engine management to support Rover ecus so we seem to have similar interests. I'll now add gauge magic to the list.

21 minutes ago, Miker7 said:

Any suggestions on how I can get the gauge to report the temperature more accurately or prove which is the correct (accurate) temperature?

The first part of this is deciding on the reference method. How about heating up some water in a jug, putting the sender in that, and comparing the result with a known good thermometer?

Jonathan

5 hours ago, Miker7 said:

My temperature gauge is reporting around 80 degrees but when I connect to the odb2 port its reporting around 95.

Cars a 01 k series.

On K series Sevens with ODB2 does one sender drive both that and the gauge or are there two senders?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

I can guess where this is heading - swap the sensors round and see what happens. They're only an inch (*) or so apart if i remember correctly so i doubt location will be making a difference.

(* imperial chassis so this is a valid unit of measure)

Gauge sender has one terminal and ecu sender has two terminals.

Currently know of a 2021 R420 Duratec (not mine) that has the same issue; when the car comes off SORN I'll run Easimap and see what the issue is.

Andrew

The reason the ECU had two terminals is so that the ground signal goes back to the ECU which is more accurate. You could fit a two terminal coolant temperature sensor for the gauge and just use the signal terminal - assuming the sensor responds the same as the single terminal sensor.