Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 310s won’t start

Andypscutt

Theories, please.

I'll open the bidding with a duff relay pulling the system voltage down to a point where either the immobiliser or something that affects it decided not to play nicely. 10.7 V might be the highest recorded level at which that's been observed, and the previous recommended safe level was 10.5 V.

And again we see a modern starter cranking a  modern engine even when something else doesn't have enough oomph.

Jonathan

13 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Well done, and thanks for sharing the solution.

Which relay is it... and NB those multiple different layouts in Sigma-engined Sevens.

Jonathan

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Theories, please.

I'll open the bidding with a duff relay pulling the system voltage down to a point where either the immobiliser or something that affects it decided not to play nicely. 10.7 V might be the highest recorded level at which that's been observed, and the previous recommended safe level was 10.5 V.

And again we see a modern starter cranking a  modern engine even when something else doesn't have enough oomph.

Jonathan

Just 4 relays on my plate and a flasher can , unusually the fuse box is just cable tied up to the loom as I have change up light module , the power supply plate is held in by Velcro .

its the 2nd one down the layout looks different to the diagrams I’ve seen from you all 

2 minutes ago, Andypscutt said:

No just 4 spaces / it’s like they just fitted what they had lying around at the time of build 

If anyone happens to look at their Sigma relay plate can you tell me what relays should actually be in there 

IMG_1154.jpeg

15005c09-c63f-473c-acee-b49010299186.jpeg

12 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Theories, please.

Theory B, and rather simpler:

The duff relay powered both something on which the immobiliser depends and the instruments. (And would probably be the mysterious "Ignition relay" on Sigmas.)

How to tell these theories apart:

• Work out which relay does what.

•  Rerun the voltage test. If it's still dropping to 10.7 V on cranking but now starting nicely then the first theory is wrong. (I'd also recommend routinely measuring battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking, and at 3,000 rpm in the same way as fluid levels and tyre pressures... )

Jonathan

Pleased to hear you've sorted the problem.

I've found out what the dangling Econoseal female 4-way is for -- launch control:

Sigma2013MESwiringdiagram-launchcontrolconnector_20240201.jpg.1e6ce5cd655584a513ed2b7dd4bb48e0.jpg

I've also found this relay diagram for a 2013 Sigma -- I don't know if it matches yours:

Sigma2013MESwiringdiagram-relays_20240201.jpg.b52c3cc2810bac4617de500d609b6ac6.jpg

JV

Edited by John Vine

3 hours ago, John Vine said:

Pleased to hear you've sorted the problem.

I've found out what the dangling Econoseal female 4-way is for -- launch control:

Sigma2013MESwiringdiagram-launchcontrolconnector_20240201.jpg.1e6ce5cd655584a513ed2b7dd4bb48e0.jpg

I've also found this relay diagram for a 2013 Sigma -- I don't know if it matches yours:

Sigma2013MESwiringdiagram-relays_20240201.jpg.b52c3cc2810bac4617de500d609b6ac6.jpg

JV

Yea that’s it / interesting mine has 5 pole relays fitted which according to your drawings is not required 

To his helps so it was the ignition relay that had got very hot , I pulled the relay plates down earlier and looks ok I closed up the contact and it’s good again 

the wires going into the ignition relay are not 30amp wires they are thicker so it obviously needs a 40amp relay in there  

Thanks again all really appreciated 

d134e4c0-49e0-402a-9245-47a841b8f436.jpeg

9cec38ac-5cd7-4865-b02e-7fa1bbcf2400.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

The duff relay powered both something on which the immobiliser depends and the instruments. (And would probably be the mysterious "Ignition relay" on Sigmas.)

•  Rerun the voltage test. If it's still dropping to 10.7 V on cranking but now starting nicely then the first theory is wrong. (I'd also recommend routinely measuring battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking, and at 3,000 rpm in the same way as fluid levels and tyre pressures... )

Jonathan

Great thanks - Don’t forget regarding battery testing the best way to test is a specific gravity test  / I use this method to find dead cells and is a very accurate way ( and safe ) of determining the battery condition .

I have asked for schematics let’s see what turns  up 

6 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Jonathan

Jonathan / Why did you mention “ Mysterious Ignition relay “ does this part have some history ? 

3 minutes ago, Andypscutt said:

Jonathan / Why did you mention “ Mysterious Ignition relay “ does this part have some history ? 

Just the unanswered question here:

But John's full diagram might now be able to solve this.

Jonathan

PS: I think that's now four relay layouts for Sigmas!

46 minutes ago, BigCol said:

My 2013 Sigma’s fuses/relays…IMG_1819.thumb.jpeg.a7334a2db337c602b8ebdfe85e9a7a73.jpeg

Nothing like mine ! Mines a 2015 which was originally a 270s apparently then fitted with the 310s kit 👊🏻 surely they don’t run the fan and everything through the ignition relay , it would explain a lot 

57 minutes ago, Andypscutt said:

Nothing like mine ! Mines a 2015 which was originally a 270s apparently then fitted with the 310s kit 👊🏻 surely they don’t run the fan and everything through the ignition relay , it would explain a lot 

My 2016 310 isn’t like that either. I expect the Sigma Ti-VCT engines have a different loom (they certainly have a different ECU) so that isn’t a surprise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

I expect the Sigma Ti-VCT engines have a different loom (they certainly have a different ECU) so that isn’t a surprise. 

That would make sense, there is a lot of difference in the wiring (swapping a fixed cam Sigma for a Ti-VCT wasn’t practical because of that).

7 hours ago, ducatidentist said:

That 900 Superlight is gorgeous!

Thanks mate — I bought it as a basket case in 2009 , actually just needed carb cleaning  a wheel repair and cam belts , covers about 150miles a year mostly from mot to home 😅 

but a lovely analogue experience in our digital world 

• Like 1