Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 310s won’t start

Andypscutt

5 minutes ago, John Vine said:

I think your friend may have inadvertently disconnected something.  Items that spring to mind would be relays, fuses and connectors.  Make sure all your relays and fuses are fully inserted.  Also check the spade connectors on the back of the ignition switch. 

I don't know what your dangling connector is for.  It's a 4-way female econoseal, so (if it's used) there should be a matching male one lurking somewhere.  I've scoured the Sigma main-harness wiring diagram (2015 vintage so may now be out of date), but the only 4-ways I can see are for the tail lights.

JV

Thank you / yeah I just want to confirm it’s not used that’s all , I have been upside down looking under the dash no obvious disconnected plugs 

its still unusual as the immobiliser is constant slow flash , does not fast flash when ignition switches on or turn off 

We identified the dangling relay in a previous discussion.

I've sent Andy what I think is the most likely layout of relays and fuses. NB there are at least two documented layouts on Sigma-engined Sevens, and one more that was analysed in a BlatChat thread.

Jonathan

13 minutes ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

Besides looking for any disconnected connectors, I would check the fuses are OK. If the dashlights and instruments are not working, a fuse is likely blown. This same fuse is probably powering the immobiliser.

I checked them all yesterday , continuity and visual all seem ok , they’re not all powered up but I guess they wouldn’t be if the immobiliser is off // faulty 

apart from the fuse box are there any o ther fuses onboard? It’s a 2015 model 

cheers all 

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

We identified the dangling relay in a previous discussion.

I've sent Andy what I think is the most likely layout of relays and fuses. NB there are at least two documented layouts on Sigma-engined Sevens, and one more that was analysed in a BlatChat thread.

Jonathan

Yes thank you I have received by email , I could do with a schematic of anybody has one but I expect it’s a Caterham only thing  .

i called Caterham Silverstone yesterday as it’s still under 12month used car warranty, only problem that’s 170miles away , if not it’s for recovery with A Flux so I could get it trailered to PGM inclusive 

1 hour ago, Andypscutt said:

apart from the fuse box are there any o ther fuses onboard? It’s a 2015 model

Not on a standard car.  There may be others fitted by previous owners (such as inline fuses for power sockets).

It's worth checking that the wiring to the various fuses is properly located in the fuseboard.  There have been reports of misalignment of spade connectors resulting in poor/no contact.

"I could do with a schematic..."

What sort of schematic are you looking for?

JV

1 minute ago, John Vine said:

Not on a standard car.  There may be others fitted by previous owners (such as inline fuses for power sockets).

It's worth checking that the wiring to the various fuses is properly located in the fuseboard.  There have been reports of misalignment of spade connectors resulting in poor/no contact.

"I could do with a schematic..."

What sort of schematic are you looking for?

JV

Thanks again for all this / ok re the fuses I’ll have a look again , 

schematic regarding the key switch and which wires it switches , like I said I noticed the immobiliser led doesn’t fast flash so I assume it’s not looking for the fob , and with no dash lights battery lights etc it’s under suspicion 

8 minutes ago, Andypscutt said:

schematic regarding the key switch and which wires it switches , like I said I noticed the immobiliser led doesn’t fast flash so I assume it’s not looking for the fob , and with no dash lights battery lights etc it’s under suspicion 

The only schematic I'm aware of is the wiring diagram for the Sigma main harness (from the 2015 Assembly Guide).  I imagine JK has sent you that already?  Mind you, I find that wiring diagram (and others) very difficult to interpret.

Re the immobiliser LED, this will stop flashing when the fob is close to the aerial wiring wound round the ignition switch.  Is that wiring and its connectors still intact?  I'm wondering whether the connectors might have been disturbed.  Have a look here.

JV

3 minutes ago, John Vine said:

The only schematic I'm aware of is the wiring diagram for the Sigma main harness (from the 2015 Assembly Guide).  I imagine JK has sent you that already?  Mind you, I find that wiring diagram (and others) very difficult to interpret.

Re the immobiliser LED, this will stop flashing when the fob is close to the aerial wiring wound round the ignition switch.  Is that wiring and its connectors still intact?  I'm wondering whether the connectors might have been disturbed.  Have a look here.

JV

Yeah I have that thanks , I will pull the rubber boot of the back of the switch next make sure the spades are still on .

As far as wiring goes generally diagrams show you where the wires go and schematics show you what the wires do . I use them a lot for work and wouldn’t go to a machine without one 

I’ll look under the dash for that loop , it’s the fact that it’s not fast flashing which is making me suspicious as it’s the ignition on that starts that process I think 

I wonder if Caterham can supply a suit for working upside down for long periods of time 🤪

• Like 1

Have you tried jump starting it off another vehicle? Battery volts at 10.7 when cranking seems a little low and may well be the issue with disabling the immobiliser.

Cheers

Andrew

9 minutes ago, raw said:

Have you tried jump starting it off another vehicle? Battery volts at 10.7 when cranking seems a little low and may well be the issue with disabling the immobiliser.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks I will try it with jump leads on , it does spin the engine pretty fast and has completed a cycle on a c tech charger as ok / but good shout 

23 minutes ago, johnpbransfield said:

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the instrument fuse 10amp. Worth checking. Mine turned over no probs took me 4 weeks to find the problem 

Ok that’s a good check , I have continuity tested all fuses and they check out but I’ve experienced a fuse that have a passed a test before with a meter but would not pass current 

I’ll report back all 👍

3 hours ago, Andypscutt said:

As far as wiring goes generally diagrams show you where the wires go and schematics show you what the wires do . I use them a lot for work and wouldn’t go to a machine without one

I hadn't appreciated the difference. Thanks for clarifying.

JV

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 21:02, Jonathan Kay said:

Have you tried using a strategically placed smart ‘phone’s camera and screen?

Jonathan

Now there’s an idea ! 

So had a conversation with Caterham Silverstone today , seemed to think keyswitch so I have dropped it down and checked connections, all good but strangely the 12v feed drops out as soon as you switch ignition on , immobiliser goes into fast flash but only when you push the start button - weird all fuses and battery checked again 

I will continue and speak to CCS tomorrow 

13 hours ago, Andypscutt said:

... seemed to think keyswitch so I have dropped it down and checked connections, all good but strangely the 12v feed drops out as soon as you switch ignition on , immobiliser goes into fast flash but only when you push the start button - weird all fuses and battery checked again... 

Very interesting.

Please confirm... that is "as soon as you switch ignition on", and not "as soon you try to start the engine".

Does anything need resetting after this?

Try that with a multimeter across the battery, and see how low the voltage goes,

Try with an additional vehicle or battery and see if that changes anything.

Jonathan

9 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Very interesting.

Please confirm... that is "as soon as you switch ignition on", and not "as soon you try to start the engine".

Does anything need resetting after this?

Try that with a multimeter across the battery, and see how low the voltage goes,

Try with an additional vehicle or battery and see if that changes anything.

Jonathan

It’s strange for sure , it’s cranking over the engine no trouble , the immobiliser will only fast flash to look for the key when the start button is pushed , it then sets and the engine spins ! 

but no fuel pump or dash lights / gauges 

looking like it’s being trailered to Caterham just waiting on confirmation- I will update all with the cause once I know , this is the difficulty with immobiliser as we don’t know what circuits it’s wired to interfere with 

SORTED !!!

So just before Caterham dispatched a trailer had one last look at this start problem , re checked all fuses but changed one at a time to be sure it wasn’t giving me a false continuity test , no change , I had checked the relays were all soundly home but decided to pull them out to check , came across the relay below which is non standard . There is signs of overheating on pole 87 pole 30 the supply is ok so this looks like a faulty relay ‘ I will keep monitoring but it runs and everything works following a visit to Halfords and a new relay .

Must say a huge thanks to you all for helping with this , I had heard you were a good bunch you fellow 7 owners .

nice one guys 💪🏼🙏🏼

image.jpg

• Like 3