Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 310s won’t start

Andypscutt

Hi all , new member here , joined in October after purchasing a 310s , fantastic machines aren’t they !! 

Just a bit of help if possible , went to start up yesterday but of course it won’t , doesn’t click when transponder held up to steering column , tried both keys and transponders no change , battery at 12.7v just been charge with a c tech .

so no dash readout or fuel pump prime / any ideas other than immobiliser, just one more thing I have a plug under the dash hanging down , 4 pin with three wires black. Green.  And a grey wire 

thanks all in advance 

Andy 

bd9d5a28-24f1-4c7c-a535-829e75115dd4.jpeg

Thanks for the reply !  Yes I’ve used both keys and fobs no different, battery disconnected right now to try a reset but normally there is an audible click and the led goes off but this isn’t happening, I’m driving myself mad with this plug hanging down seems to obvious but maybe it’s part of a generic loom for all models .

i heave viewed the turn 7 video but no improvement just yet 

thanks again 

Welcome

If you'd like the appropriate wiring diagram and layout of fuses and relays please send me a Private Message with your email address.

Has it been working normally before this, and has there been any recent work on it?

Immobiliser, as above. If you add a photo of the fob we can work out which sort, and what might be wrong.

Does the voltage across the battery change when you ask it to start? Do you have another vehicle or battery that you could use to jump start?

Try wiggling the key in the lock/switch. And do other ignition-switched circuits work?

Check wires and connections on battery and starter, including engine earths.

Jonathan

Thanks guys 

Yes I can get it to crank over no problems , battery is good at 12.7v all fuses ok , no work at all just topped battery up with C Tech MX5 conditioner , I was out in it Jan 7th no problems , only thing since is a friend sat in it , I remember thinking at the time his foot brushed under the dash / like I said this plug hanging down may be a red herring but I would like to know what it does if anyone knows or a fellow owner wouldn’t mind peeking under their dash to see if it matches 

really appreciate all the help 

7 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

The fuel pump still primes if the immobiliser is unset on my 310, so maybe that can be eliminated? 

That's very useful to know in the process of diagnosis. See comment above about other ignition-switched comments: why isn't it making a noise?

(Andrew Revill showed this for K series engines, but I didn't know for Sigmas.)

Jonathan

1 minute ago, Andypscutt said:

Yes I can get it to crank over no problems , battery is good at 12.7v all fuses ok , no work at all just topped battery up with C Tech MX5 conditioner , I was out in it Jan 7th no problems , only thing since is a friend sat in it , I remember thinking at the time his foot brushed under the dash / like I said this plug hanging down may be a red herring but I would like to know what it does if anyone knows or a fellow owner wouldn’t mind peeking under their dash to see if it matches 

I'm confused: is it now cranking but not not firing?

Jonathan

11 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

The fuel pump still primes if the immobiliser is unset on my 310, so maybe that can be eliminated? 

Mmm interesting? If I disconnect the battery and re connect it runs the fuel pump 

1 minute ago, Andypscutt said:

It normally clicks when the immobiliser is activated and runs the fuel pump , it’s not doing that now and the led is staying solid red not switching off 

Photo of immobiliser fob, please. Once we've identified the type we can work out what might be wrong and run through the reset procedure.

Jonathan

3 minutes ago, Andypscutt said:

Yes It spins the starter no problem but no dash lights / display / fuel pump speedo rev counter nothing else / sorry if I’m confusing everyone! 

Thanks. We're getting close! : - )

What's the voltage across the battery as the starter spins the engine?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

1 hour ago, Andypscutt said:

10.7volts when cranking over which seems ok , cranks fast 

Yes. The threshold value for electronics dropping out seems to be about 10.5 V. I don't think that this is the problem but if it's the sort of battery where you can check fluid level in the cells then I would.

Jonathan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andypscutt said:

Thanks Steve , so you have this option unconnected plug in your 310 loom as photo above ? Thanks 

There certainly are unused connectors under there. I will have a look later today. 

5 hours ago, Andypscutt said:

Thanks guys 

really appreciate all the help 

I think your friend may have inadvertently disconnected something.  Items that spring to mind would be relays, fuses and connectors.  Make sure all your relays and fuses are fully inserted.  Also check the spade connectors on the back of the ignition switch. 

I don't know what your dangling connector is for.  It's a 4-way female econoseal, so (if it's used) there should be a matching male one lurking somewhere.  I've scoured the Sigma main-harness wiring diagram (2015 vintage so may now be out of date), but the only 4-ways I can see are for the tail lights.

JV