Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dash Wrapping

Stu Smith

I didn’t know that dash wrapping was a thing until today..

Has anyone had this done or know anything about it.

Does  the dash need to be removed? Removing the dash and scuttle panel has been putting me off replacing my tired dash with a new carbon one. 

Yup - been there, done that!

I used 3M Di-noc carbon fibre vinyl.  A removable scuttle will make things very much easier but still not too difficult a job and £100s less than a carbon dash!

I removed the scuttle.  Then removed each switch/gauge and reattached them to their connections behind the dash.  Having thoroughly cleaned the empty dash with alcohol, I attached the sticky-backed plastic (for Blue Peter viewers of a certain vintage).  

The vinyl can be wrapped over the top and bottom edges ahead of cutting the apertures, trimming them a bit and pushing the vinyl edges through the holes before putting the switches etc back.

No need to remove the dash.  The scuttle was then reattached.

IMG_1683.thumb.jpeg.95fce96f3724beee65d8c555cc5d0a78.jpeg

Edited by BigCol
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, BigCol said:

I used 3M Di-noc carbon fibre vinyl.  A removable scuttle will make things very much easier but still not too difficult a job and £100s less than a carbon dash!

I removed the scuttle.  Then removed each switch/gauge and reattached them to their connections behind the dash.  Having thoroughly cleaned the empty dash with alcohol, I attached the sticky-backed plastic (for Blue Peter viewers of a certain vintage).  

The vinyl can be wrapped iver the op and bottom edges ahead of cutting the apertures, trimming them a bit and pushing the vinyl edges through the holes before putting the switches etc back.

That looks very impressive. Had you any previous experience of fitting wrapping?                   
Also does the 3M wrap come with instructions?

34 minutes ago, Stu Smith said:

Had you any previous experience of fitting wrapping?                   
Also does the 3M wrap come with instructions?

No - it’s a predominantly flat surface - the only issues are the “corners” and a couple of judicious cuts sorted that.
No - guess if you’re concerned then there’ll be stuff in YouTube.

2 minutes ago, BigCol said:

No - it’s a predominantly flat surface - the only issues are the “corners” and a couple of judicious cuts sorted that.
No - guess if you’re concerned then there’ll be stuff in YouTube.

Thanks..Going to measure up and get the 3M ordered and have a go, hopefully it will turn out like yours.                                                                      

On 16/01/2024 at 16:59, BigCol said:

The vinyl can be wrapped over the top and bottom edges ahead of cutting the apertures, trimming them a bit and pushing the vinyl edges through the holes before putting the switches etc back.

What colour of wrap did you use Black or Graphite?