Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Accelerator pedal not returning (first post)

Suttons

Hi all this is my first post on the forum, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I was looking forward to taking out my caterham 140 supersport today, and when I started the car it was revving really high. I looked under the hood and traced the accelerator cable to the return spring which seems a bit stiff, so not sure if they need replacing or if there is another issue.

Welcome

I suggest starting by checking exactly which bit is sticking. Disconnect the cable at the throttle end and at the pedal and then see which parts move smoothly and which don't.

Jonathan

PS: If you'd like the appropriate Assembly Guide please send me a Private Message with your email address. 

Edited by Jonathan Kay

• Area Representative

Wecome

Common reasons for this in my experience (some may not apply your car):

• the cable rusting or with ice crystals inside the Bowden cable
  • the pivot bolt tightening up

You shouldn't need an assembly guide to sort this out but they are online and downloadable here:https://caterham.dk/Assembly_Guides/index.htm

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative
2 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

No, if the shaft was lightly greased on assembly and a little clearance left as the nyloc nut is fitted all should be well.

Not sure this is correct. In my experience the accelerator pedal is held by a bolt into a captivated nut in the chassis. There is a bush in the bracket upon which the pedal rotates. Bush enables the bolt to be fully tightened without pinching the pedal. I’d suggest dismantling and cleaning then applying a little copper grease before reassembly. 

• Area Representative

No, if the shaft was lightly greased on assembly and a little clearance left as the nyloc nut is fitted all should be well.

Mine bolts into a bush on the spaceframe. Just as Paul has also posted.

I suppose if it is/was a persistent one might use a threaded rod and a nyloc on the outside end.

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango