Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting quick rack steering column

Mrb00ns

Hi,

Does anyone have a guide to fitting a quick rack steering column? I didn’t self-build and although I’ve looked at the build manual it suggests fitting the column before fitting the front suspension. 
Can I just disconnect the old column and replace with the new one or should I be taking it into a garage to do it?

Thanks

Chris

• Leadership Team

It is a change of rack that enables a “quick rack”.

The steering column will not make any difference other than there being a “quick release” type available, but I’m sure this isn’t what you’re referring to.

Stu.

5 hours ago, Mrb00ns said:

Does anyone have a guide to fitting a quick rack steering column? I didn’t self-build and although I’ve looked at the build manual it suggests fitting the column before fitting the front suspension. 

Do you have a copy of the old style text-rich Assembly Guide or only the current pictorial style? There's a lot more information in the former. Please let me know if you'd like one.

Jonathan

5 hours ago, Mrb00ns said:

Can I just disconnect the old column and replace with the new one or should I be taking it into a garage to do it?

There's a safety point when removing the steering wheel and upper column: make sure that their trajectory doesn't include your face.

Jonathan

To disconnect the UJ at the rack end, the column sliding joint clamp (near the scuttle end of the column) needs to be slackened off. There is a very specific tightening sequence when putting back on - 7/16” head bolts first, then the grub screw and finally the locknut.

Some had tightened the grub screw first or left it protruding too much and when you fully tighten the side bolts the end plate bends!

Sorry #2 and #3 - I did mean the rack, not the column!

#4 - yes I’ve got the ‘text rich’ version of the build manual. I was hoping someone might have made a handy video, but I guess it is just a case of carefully unfasten, replace, then refasten taking #6 post into account?