Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CC LED headlights, is dual burn (heat dissipation) technology employed?

anthonym

4 minutes ago, RogNeedham said:

Now this might be my age, but what I increasingly see out on the road with these very bright front LEDs is the lack of contrast between that light and the indicator, particularly if the two lights are close in the same cluster.

I know the old motoring adage of ‘never trust a left signal’, but sometimes I really struggle to tell if an indicator is on because its light is dominated by the nearby / surrounding LED 

You're not alone.

But it has also happened at the rear with some models.

Physical separation or automatic extinguishing of the other light should be mandatory..

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

44 minutes ago, RogNeedham said:

Now this might be my age, but what I increasingly see out on the road with these very bright front LEDs is the lack of contrast between that light and the indicator, particularly if the two lights are close in the same cluster.

I know the old motoring adage of ‘never trust a left signal’, but sometimes I really struggle to tell if an indicator is on because its light is dominated by the nearby / surrounding LED 

Rog

You're not alone Rog. I'm not young, but at 50, hardly 'on the scrap heap' too (I hope 😂) — I struggle with many modern lights too.

A bit of a tangent — when I was a wee lad, I wanted to be a car designer. Didn't go down that route in the end (poor advice, with hindsight, from a crap teacher) — but I do still have a fascination with the smaller details on cars. In particular, light clusters. I tend to look at them a lot whilst driving along, and of late I have noticed these terrible indicator designs. Even Mrs P has commented, and she has x-ray vision (powered by Magoo-esque glasses, mind).

10 minutes ago, StevehS3 said:

I can’t get comfortable with the thought that if one fails you are left with no headlight as a bulb can’t be swapped.

I share the discomfort --  which is the main reason I opted for Dave Gemzoe's LED bulbs.  They may not be strictly legal, I suppose, but I've had no problems at MOT time.

ETA: I rarely drive the 7 at night, but I do drive with dipped headlights all the time.

JV 

Edited by John Vine