Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car wires/cables, what to get and where?

Gridgway

In my BDR project in its fixer-upper stage, I am doing some small wiring jobs.  I expect to be doing some more proper rewiring next winter.  I essentially have some Halfords wire 5A and 17A, but that's running out, so need to get some more.  I could of course just pop to Halfords and get some more, but I thought I would seek advice on here about what's best.

If I look on Polevolt for example, they (only) have thinwall cable in a range of plain colours from 0.5mm (I assume that's 0.5mm square mm cross section) up to 8.5mm.  Theie min postage fee is quite high for small orders.

Any recommendations of what type of cable to get and who to get it from in reasonably small quantities?

Thanks

Graham

• Leadership Team

Polevolt or Autosparks tend to have the best supply, ideally the cable you’re looking for is “1mm thin wall” which will be the same as the majority of the loom. This cable is available in most colour combinations, it’s certainly worth sticking to the correct colours in case of a fault in the future.

• Area Representative

I’ve used ALM for thin wall wiring for loom modifications and additions.

They normally have a great range of sizes and colour combinations.

https://www.almsolutions.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_60

for small orders they also list on EBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223153994869?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=caMWM9FeReK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Qgzwi6arT4e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Richard Price

34 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

This is very useful: I don't think that we previously found a supplier of wires with tracer colours unless you bought a very long length.

Jonathan

Vehicle wiring products also do tracers by the meter for 1mm (and possibly above)

12voltplanet will cut to length and have a vast array of colours incl with tracer.

All looms (as you’re probably aware) use a colour schema - its just a case of finding the right era for the colours to use (or copy the existing)

As an aside, Brother Needham sent me a link to a video of a guy rebuilding an Alfa Junior with a ferrari engine. For the recreation of the loom he used polypropylene rope to map out the routing in the car, taped on offshoots etc where the loom needed to split and labelled it all up. He then transferred it to a board, nailing junction points / transferring the labelling to make it! Simple really!

Edited by Wrightpayne

27 minutes ago, Wrightpayne said:

All looms (as you’re probably aware) use a colour schema - its just a case of finding the right era for the colours to use (or copy the existing)

I have a lot of Caterham wiring diagrams: available to all Members. (And Assembly Guides, Owners Handbooks etc.)

"Standard" British wiring colours.

Jonathan

What a great thread.  At the moment I'm just doing a few fixes.  Next winter I'll be assessing the wiring.  I'll take the scuttle off and decide what to do.  It's only got two fuses atm, so I'll definitely sort that out. I can see my challenge.  Rectifying it rather than a whole new loom!  Although if I could get a suitable caterham loom for the period I'd probably go in that direction.