Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this a Mazda 5 speed box?

hallmark

Hi everyone,

Ready to change the oil in my five speed Mazda gearbox,  got the car up on the ramps and started looking for the drain plug.  First problem - couldn't find it despite looking at many You-Tube videos on how it's done (and of course looking back through various threads on this forum).  My eye sight isn't what it used to be, but I cant find the drain plug anywhere (believe it should be 22mm socket) but now I'm not sure I've got a Mazda box so I thought I'd try and take a couple of photo's to see if anyone here can confirm (or otherwise!) if it is from Mazda!

Thanks all,

Mark

Use 1.jpg

Use 2.jpg

Type 9 Ford box, what year is your car..?,

Theres no drain plug with the OEM cast casing, you can drain via an oil syringe and tube ,best done when the oil is warm, these boxes run very well on Redline MTL.

Lots of great uprgrades for this box, ratios clusters, alloy casings etc, its a good durable box with proven compition history

3 hours ago, CycleSi said:

That looks like the underside of my 6 speed box.

Redline MTL 75w80 works best for me.

If it does then you’ve been mis-sold. The 6sp is all ally - no cast iron!

The caterham 6sp has the drain plug low on one side rather than bottom / centre.

Edited by Wrightpayne

Thanks again to everyone that's responded - as always a very informative and friendly bunch!  After a bit of further Googling it's certainly a type 9 box - I looked back at the original build spec sheet and the original owner had spec'd the 5 speed box but it doesn't say any more than that (which is fine).  The car's a 2013 Supersport, so I guess not long after the change to Mazda happened, not that it makes any difference to be TBH.  Good to know what I've got though and as 7 wonders of the world mentioned, plenty of options for upgrading 🙂

Thanks all - Mark.

• Area Representative
20 hours ago, hallmark said:

Thanks again to everyone that's responded - as always a very informative and friendly bunch!  After a bit of further Googling it's certainly a type 9 box - I looked back at the original build spec sheet and the original owner had spec'd the 5 speed box but it doesn't say any more than that (which is fine).  The car's a 2013 Supersport, so I guess not long after the change to Mazda happened, not that it makes any difference to be TBH.  Good to know what I've got though and as 7 wonders of the world mentioned, plenty of options for upgrading 🙂

Thanks all - Mark.

Enjoy removing the drain plug. An eye ball on the end of a finger is helpful !

Thanks Geoff - managed to get the right sized allen key in (access from within the drivers footwell initially but found it easier from underneath as the cars up on ramps) - bloody thing isn't moving!  Tried penetrating oil, iron bar over the allen key for leverage and I'm putting so much force on it I'm afraid it's going to round off!  It really doesn't want to come out.  Glad there's no time pressures so I'll have another go later this evening - all part of the fun!

Often need a long tube on the end of the Allen key to get enough leverage. It can release with a hell of a bang. Wait until you try and undo the fill/level plug on the Ford diff. I use 3 foot long breaker bar for that one. Wear gloves and try and avoid smashing your knuckles on anything. These taper plugs seem to tighten in use.

Edited by SM25T

• Area Representative
20 hours ago, hallmark said:

Thanks Geoff - managed to get the right sized allen key in (access from within the drivers footwell initially but found it easier from underneath as the cars up on ramps) - bloody thing isn't moving!  Tried penetrating oil, iron bar over the allen key for leverage and I'm putting so much force on it I'm afraid it's going to round off!  It really doesn't want to come out.  Glad there's no time pressures so I'll have another go later this evening - all part of the fun!

The plug should not be that tight !  As advised, caution when trying to loosen off the plug. And of course laying under the car & the possibility of disorientation you will be pushing the Allen Key/extension forward......!