Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Cars LED Headlights - how to wire "dip" to be always on when main beam is active?

anthonym

Caterham Cars LED Headlights - how to wire "dip" to be always on when main beam is active?

Any ideas?

I am hoping it's simply necessary to jump a wire somewhere.

Why? Lousy quality dispersion of main beam when dip goes off.

Or even maybe just the replacement of the low beam relay with one that does not switch off when main is activated: though I suppose that is the same as taking a seocnd feed to it from the main beam circuit replay, so it does not go open circuit until the headlights are off. OR Replace the low beam relay with one that accepts two switch feeds, so one form low beam and one from high beam. 

Even more simple: maybe a different switch in the dash

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/toggle-switches-guide

So we have an On-On Toggle switch from Dip to Main, I guess what I want is an On-and-add-another-one Toggle Switch

or: a second switch that makes the dip always on (when lights are activated) - I already have one that makes my (separate ) LEDs AlwaysOn--Off--OnUnlessHeadlightsOn so I am wondering if the AlwaysOn side of that switch can feed the dip relay as well as the Daylights without a clash between when the Dip ciruit itself is activated, will that 12v go back up to the extra switch (yes I reckon so) but I seem to recall two 12v feeds arriving at the same point remain a 12v feed, but then would it be completing a circuit to the second switch AlwaysOn pole? I think so. That would mean a one way current item would be required (trying to recall the name of these electronics devices)

Anthony

stil editing

Edited by anthonym
relays

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Add a relay that is activated by the main beam circuit and supplies the dipped beam circuit.

isn't that like bridging beween the 86 terminals from main to low beam relays? Which with any luck would be simple to do. Dare I ask if you have a wiring digram for this? K Series Year 2000 headlights - now wired as CC LEDs. I presume the old H4 (?) system has been adapted. The image is just a generic, clearly when we switch on and go maoin beam the relay opens in some way

image.png.b98bdd8969be5df7b5ecb074d6d60873.png

Edited by anthonym

THAT is exactly what I was trying to figure out, which type it would be.

"with the input poles connected"

Exactly. 

Not sure what my circuit is although it is whatever "standard" is as far as I know post rebuild with CC LEDs.

Edited by anthonym

Buried somewhere, not concerned.

Though IF the dip relay is activated when the main lights switch is activated and it goes off when the main beam switch is activated then...

I need the correct wiring diagram. .. it could be as simple as the toggle switch.

Edited by anthonym

9 minutes ago, anthonym said:

isn't that like bridging beween the 86 terminals from main to low beam relays?

Isn't 86 SIGNAL IN? if so with the existing switch that would put both lights ON if either dip or main was switched ON.

But you could bridge the SIGNAL IN terminals with a suitable diode...

Jonathan

I am wondering if all I need do is replace this switch

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/switches/234-toggle-switch-dip-inclduing-fixings.html?search_query=dip+switch&results=109

with one that adds to a feed instead of switching the feed, while the image is 2002 onwards, judging by the 620 version and being retrofittable, the functionality does not changeToggle.jpg.42ecfed53481b208302fa74cb93ddade.jpg

is this right? 

For the scenario you described, where one 12V circuit is always active and a second 12V circuit is added only when the switch is thrown, you would use a "Single Pole, Double Throw" (SPDT) toggle switch. This type of switch allows you to change the connection from one circuit to another. Here's how it works:

1. Single Pole (SP): This means the switch controls one circuit (or "pole") at a time. It has a single input terminal.

2. Double Throw (DT): This indicates that the switch has two output positions (throws). The switch can connect the input terminal to either of the two output terminals.

In your setup:

• The always-active 12V circuit would be connected to one of the output terminals of the SPDT switch.
  • The second 12V circuit, which you want to add when the switch is thrown, would be connected to the other output terminal.
  • The input terminal of the switch would be connected to the power source.

When the switch is in the first position, it will connect the power source to the always-active circuit. When you flip the switch to the second position, it will disconnect from the always-active circuit and instead connect the power source to the second circuit.

This way, you have one circuit that is always connected in one switch position, and when you toggle the switch, it disconnects that circuit and connects the second one.

whether it exists I have to look

11332 products found for spdt switch !

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=spdt switch

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?pn=1&searchTerm=spdt&rpp=20&selectedNavigation=attributes.level2=Toggle Switches %26 Slide Switches;attributes.Contact_Configuration=SPDT;attributes.Terminal_Type=Tab;attributes.level3=Toggle Switches;attributes.Mounting_Type=Panel Mount;attributes.Switch_Operation=On-(On)

that shows two:

image.thumb.png.abb94a9d5baafaf93ef691b66bc50493.png

and another search I have not yet reproduced showed these, a trick seems to be to choose "tab" as the terminal connection when most others disappear

image.thumb.png.58f66094904ca39087098f5c09a28da9.png

Edited by anthonym

1 hour ago, John Vine said:

Do these exist?

so it seems, above  - would you approve of this approach?

edit and now confirmed the switch on my car IS the one shown by cc as being 2002 onwards; apparently the differences are the supplier and the position of the terminals.

Also strikes me that having both dip and main activated with LEDs is not at all the same as doing the same with ordinary headlights, because LEDs draw a lot less current; though I need to look see exactly what. Seems 15amps for ordinary headlights and MAYBE 5 amps for LEDs but I have enquired.

Edited by anthonym

Agree about the reduced load with LED.

As far as I can see, all those switches are vanilla SPDT. In other words, you have either one circuit or another ON. If you try to power the dip circuit from throw-1 (main beam), then when you switch to throw-2 (dip) you'll power the main-beam circuit "in reverse" as it were.

I don't know whether SPDT switches with doubled-up outputs on throw-1 exist.

Personally,  I'd go for a relay - something like this:

20231208_200334.thumb.jpg.b1e6cbbc41f4557bb2dc7ad4ad145dba.jpg

JV