Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Front Wing Bolts

PlastererPete

Just need a sanity check please.

I'm replacing the carbon front wings on my 2005 CSR and I've managed to get one of them off this evening. The other one, the allen head bolt does not want to shift, so soaking it in WD40 for a couple of days and praying it doesnt round over 🤞.

Can someone just confirm that it's an M8x20 bolt to fix it to the lower front stanchion?  I'm getting an order together from Accu and wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Thanks all.

Hi Pete, I did the same last year and had to drill them out. The thin web just locked the bolt and nothing I could do (plusgas/heat etc) free’d it. I replaced it with one of accu’s black stainless fasteners, a penny washer and a nut on the wheel side. This needed me to grind a flat into the inner edge of the wing stay prior to powder coating.

I then trimmed the bolt to be just protruding from the nut.

I have heard of an innovative way of releasing stuck bolts etc by using wax.  It appears to be as simple as applying some heat and then applying some simple wax like a 'tea light'  and allowing that to penetrate.  I have not tried this myself but have heard it anecdotally on a few occasions with supposed good results.  

2 hours ago, PlastererPete said:

Don't say that Sam 😅  I'm already nervous everytime I do something to the car knowing my dad would never have done any work on it himself. 

I'll try the plusgas route, and anything else I can find that might free it. One good thing, is I have all winter to do it 😄

Ha! Fair enough! Lots of plusgas over night for a few nights it is then! Heat is your friend too.

Not heard of the wax method, but that could be one to try too.

• Area Representative

We have talked about .heic images before Jonathan. You already know they are yet to be supported. Use other file formats.

See: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forums/topic/273938-new-website-feedback-and-ideas/page/5/#comment-2598847

Edited by Golf Juliet Tango

1 hour ago, Golf Juliet Tango said:

We have talked about .heic images before Jonathan. You already know they are yet to be supported. Use other file formats.

See: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forums/topic/273938-new-website-feedback-and-ideas/page/5/#comment-2598847

I logged the problem. I can't see an acknowledgment or list of options or suggestions for workarounds. I've reposted in that thread.

It would still be helpful to know what happens with other browsers (As in the strange issue of inline PDFs on the old software.)

Jonathan

14 hours ago, PlastererPete said:

Can someone just confirm that it's an M8x20 bolt to fix it to the lower front stanchion?

I'll have a look.

Do you already have the specific CSR documentation?

I think that you have the bolt from the other side... what's the length below the head and the diameter?

Thanks

Jonathan

Yea ive got all the manuals and extra paperwork for the CSR specific bits. I read through everything to do with front wings and couldn’t find the answer.

The measurements come up a hair under 19mm length and 7.87mm diameter. I’m assuming its a metric M8 allen head bolt but being a 2005 chassis I wasn’t sure if it would be Imperial.