Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Crossflow 1600 Sprint & Weber 23/36 DGV jettings?

Iamscotticus

To be honest, I don't have the jetting for this, but from my experience you are likely to have problems with this carb/cam combination, particularly at idle and light throttle. The problem is that the A2 is relatively long duration and doesn't draw much air at idle which requires the throttle butterfly to be open more than a standard cam would. Unfortunately, this positions the butterfly beyond the idle jet and progression holes so that fuelling is very poor at this point. Once you get enough throttle and revs to get onto the main jet it normally runs OK.

I have to declare that I don't have a lot of experience of this so I could be wrong, but this was my diagnosis the one time we tried this combination. Eventually, we fitted a pair of 40DCOEs and the engine was as sweet as a nut.

Thanks, Roger. 

I have the original set of DCOE and they run fine.  Im attempting a 1968 S3 conversion, just to do something different with the car.  If I can't dial it in on the 32/36, I can try a GT cam or 32/32.  Ford ran the 32/36 DGV FA on the Mexico and other Crossflows so my hope is I can duplicate the Ford spec with some success.  I was able to buy a generous variety of jets with the kit.  With that and and an AFR guage, and many plug checks, I hope to dial it in.

Who knows, I might even go for a vacuum advanced dizzy.

Assuming it is low speed running that you are having problems with, then a standard GT cam should sort the problem. A 32/36 should run just fine with that. And definitely do fit a vac advance if you go for that combo. It is the old fashioned, and rather cruder, equivalent of 3D mapped ignition and will improve both economy and part throttle performance quite considerably. Sadly though, it doesn't really work with DCOEs because they lead to a strongly pulsing vacuum signal in the hose which can send the dizzy into spasms.