Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ACF50 diluted with isopropyl alcohol

W33SVN

My apologies if this has been discussed, but I’m struggling to find.

I’m just about to prep my 7 for winter and wondering if anyone uses ACF50 mixed with isopropyl alcohol to dilute (producing a less viscous solution for vaporisation spraying, with the isopropyl alcohol evaporating quickly leaving only the ACF50 in situ). If so, what ratio do you use please?

Lots of chat on motorcycle forums highlighting ratios between 5-50% which seems a huge variance. 

Thanks folks

John

I have used ACF50 in the past and found the viscosity to cause problems when trying to mist it through a pump bottle, as the supplied pump bottle in the kit seems to spray in a jet.  I have thought about warming it up before spraying to thin it a little but hadn't considered mixing with isopropyl alcohol! 

Dont dilute it I use an old hand sprayer either a detergent sprayer or even garden sprayer. Its better applied neat. Have done underneath with mine using these no problem. Preferred use by aircraft manufacturers and engineers. Be aware when having Mot my garage wanted to include an advisory for diff or gearbox leak when in fact it was just AC 50.

I bought it loose in a 4 ltr plastic container.

Edited by Beagler

Thanks folks, I too have bought a large 4 litre container and will try the warming with a bowl of hot water. My garage is some distance from my house and the idea of finding a solution (no pun intended) that reduced the likelihood of it all cooling before I got my car out to spray it, made me look into other possibilities. 

Thanks Guy, I did see this, but liked the idea of using a garden sprayer or similar with a long lance so I can get right into the grot traps and up behind the fuel tank. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W33SVN said:

Thanks folks, I too have bought a large 4 litre container and will try the warming with a bowl of hot water. My garage is some distance from my house and the idea of finding a solution (no pun intended) that reduced the likelihood of it all cooling before I got my car out to spray it, made me look into other possibilities. 

Thanks Guy, I did see this, but liked the idea of using a garden sprayer or similar with a long lance so I can get right into the grot traps and up behind the fuel tank. 

AC50 is quite sprayable as is no need to heat it. Just fill an an empty detergent spray after thoroughly cleaning and try a test spray.

16 hours ago, mph said:

I had some Bilt Hamber Atom Mac laying about last year, and read it does the same thing as ACF50, but can also be sprayed on brake discs (which is where I'd typically used it — during a proper car 'detailing' [wash 🤣]) So I used that all on the underside of my car prior to winterising.

That’s really interesting thank you, i just visited their website and you dilute their product with water before use. Scottoiler’s FS365 is also water based which i have used on motorbikes for years with great results, but I was slightly concerned that the water may not completely evaporate in the grot traps if trapped in crud. I may considering using both, keeping the ACF50 for the grot traps