Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR conversion to throttle bodies

Gridgway

I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I have been musing over converting my BDR from Dellortos to ITBs.  I did a quick search on the site to try and find anything that might relate to the topic but failed.  I also had a quick look at the Jenvery website and that adds up to a lot of money very quickly.  Then I thought, what about bike throttle bodies and a megasquirt?

Anyone got pointers to any reference materials, or have done it or seen it done?

Cheers

Graham

There are significant benifits to doing this correctly, using either Jenvey DCOE style TB or their Heritage range, for an original look, run this along side a 3D ignition under the control of an Emerald, yes it will add up but these are good real world upgrades, the ignition map in particular will make a huge improvement.

Discount is available on the ECU from Emerald,

You will need new fuel pump pressure reg, tank, injectors fuel rail and a few sensors etc to crank, TPS, water and air temp

Don't forget to factor in a mapping session too,

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Can someone tell me about the difference in fuel tanks?  I have literally just bought a new S3 carb tank to replace the hugely rusty old steel thing.  It's still in the box.  The question is, can I use an injection tank for carbs?

If so I can return it and swap for an injection one.  Then run on carbs and upgrade to TBs when I get there.

I converted my VX engined car in stages to make it a little easier on the wallet. Did ECU, wiring loom and conversion  to 3D ignition as stage 1. Loom had all connections for next stage.

Then later I converted to Jenvey TB’s and the tank in my car was already set up so I did not have that issue which was very handy as I have a non standard “ saddle “ tank in mine but that is a different story.

if I did it again I would go with the TB’s that look like standard Weber 45’s

Hi Graham, I am watching this thread with interest. From knowing nothing I have just spent 11 days fettling and tuning my Dellorto 45 DHLA "C"s. Have to say very happy with the result so far, one very short test drive last night. A very nice and different car.  

I readily accept modern systems are better; what is it you want from a new system? I want to keep mine simply because that's what it was built with.

Anthony

List I googled:

A throttle body is better than a carburetor in the following aspects:

• Lower emissions
  • Smoother idling
  • A better cold-start and performance.
  • Better driveability and fuel economy
  • It is easier to tune, and the throttle response is better.
  • Fuel injection systems are best for off-roading because they decrease vibrations and help to overcome steep grades.

and a couple of pics to brighten things up:

IMG_7917.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

Edited by anthonym

31 minutes ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Anthony, yo need to upgrade your fule hose, R6 is not compatible with Ethabol and deterriorates radpidly, you need R14, couple of metres will replace all the hose including the rear sections too  *thumbs_up_thumb*

THANK YOU!  

1 hour ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Anthony, yo need to upgrade your fule hose, R6 is not compatible with Ethabol and deterriorates radpidly, you need R14, couple of metres will replace all the hose including the rear sections too  *thumbs_up_thumb*

And when you do that I suggest changing the clips to proper petrol pipe clips, not jubilee (worm drive) clips.  Petrol pipe clips stay round and compress the pipe evenlyUntitled.jpg.325ba8c5912a239c31dc701cb19820f4.jpgThis sort of clip

3 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Or use Esso super (bio free). If the carbs haven’t had a service kit it the last few years they may not be bio friendly either.

21 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Are you sure?  Almost all the descriptions I've seen of R6 hose is that it is Ethanol compatible.