Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's wrong with this picture?

Paul 987

Apart from being sideways that is. Sorry tried changing orientation before upload.

I recently noticed that the off side rear ARB drop link is at a jaunty angle and the ARB arm seems bent inward to the centre of the car. Compared to the near side. See below.

Although I'd not noticed before and I've had no incidents in my ownership since June. (Ok the rear may have taken off on some particularly vicious ridges on the A23 round Crawley). It could have been like this since i got it.

Also, a less than scientific check with a spirit level on the roll bar (with me in the car) show the Off Side is high. Garage floor is pretty level

2009 - S3 Sigma.

I'd appreciate thoughts on whether it's just the ARB has suffered previous damage or if something else is going on.

Cheers

OSR-ARB2_1.thumb.jpg.05abe8cb2c18999df4363908a1d9235e.jpg NSR-ARB_1.thumb.jpg.2e8ef32e6f6af2272bef9ecd74185c81.jpg

The hex extension was dropped in later builds, so they are not needed.   How central is your dedion tube, measured from the chassis rail?  It should be within a mm.  If it's not central then the spacing of the a frame could be out.

Not that I notice detail or anything, but the picture from the build manual shows a hex head bolt -> axle -> nutspacer -> ARB -> Link. The bolts are different on each side in OPs picture, the left hand side looks like the nutspacer and the right hand side is a nyloc nut.  The nyloc nut looks to be used to attach the ARB ear to the link.  Also every ARB link (which is 4 :) ) I've done has used nyloc or some form of anti-unwind on both ends.

Or John's suggestion that the ARB ears being bent sound about right, should be easy to identify.

Thanks All for input.

Apologies for not responding, didn't seem to get notifications.

It's an ex academy car and was upgraded to super sport so not standard. I note the drop link top bolt arrangement is different to the Guide.

In the end I took the easy way out and popped into PGM as they are only 20 mins away.

The ARB blade was bent inward, presumably some previous trauma. No other obvious indications of cause though.

#6 - I'll look into that thanks and as time allows get a full geo done.