Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Facet servicing and a cautionary tail...

Gridgway

The next stage of getting my BDR to start is to get fuel safely to the engine from the fuel tank.

After quite some faffing, I have concluded that my gold coloured Facet cylindrical pump does not work.  I have bench tested it.  It makes the right noise but doesn't pump anything.

There's a youtube video showing one being serviced with a repait kit, but I can't find a repair kit on the internet.  I guess I'll take it apart and see what's what.  Any knowledge here would be great.

And to the cautionary tale.  The pipework is braided rubber hose from tank to pump and from pump to the front.  They do say the problem is that with braided hose, you can't see the condition of the rubber.  Well whoever "they" happen to be, they are completely correct.  With the braid removed...

53234457351_ebca5a7573_c.jpg

I had exactly that issue with braided fuel hose on my Mini. The fuel leak was big, luckily just outside the garage after waking it up from it's winter hibernation.  All replaced with plain rubber fuel pipe

Graham, are you saying that the fuel pipe through the tunnel is also rubber pipe? I know it would introduce more joints but I would think metal fuel pipe would be better there

And in fact, the main components are available as spares on the glencoe website.  The problem is without knowing what the issue is, I could get replacement parts and still be no better off.  It might be that the electro magnetic bit isn't working so the shuttle doesn't move backwards are forwards enough.

Hmm

• 2 weeks later...