Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 2.0L Raceline Dry Sump Oil Aeration

DarrenAshley

Hey all,

Howdy from Australia again! The saga of the C400 continues, but we are close. 

What I am hoping is the final issue is oil aeration. Previously I had a Cosworth/Caterham dry sump, but when purchased the scavenge pump was unbeknown to be badly damaged.

I replaced it when the engine was rebuilt (As a result of the damage from the scavenge pump) with a Raceline dry sump. I kept the old swirl tower.

Now, I see heavy aeration of the oil even after 30 seconds of running at idle from completely cold and un-aerated oil. 

The swirl tank is filled to SBD specifications, 3mm below baffle.

IMG_5521.jpeg.c800b076499dc8e617b61c4b8906971b.jpeg

I have pumped some oil from the bottom of the swirl tower to check it. See picture below

Image_0.jpeg.c085082aeb2abec3012a8dee0ee52a26.jpeg

As you can see, it is heavily aerated. Has anyone come across this? There are no leaks in the system, so I am wondering where the air is coming from.

Raceline have been in touch and I am going to call them overnight my time as they have always been super helpful but I also thought I would see if anyone has any ideas here.

Thanks again guys! I had a track day booked for tomorrow to run the car for the first time, 3 years since purchase but I am not going to risk it. :(

It's more usual to.set the oil level about 1/2" below the top baffle when the oil is fully up to temp and the engine running.

Are you running the system sealed or open.. the later will permit more ir to be return to the tank.

I always run a sealed system, there will however always be air returned and its partly the job of the tank to separate thus usually via swirl with the rerun line entering the tank at a tanget

Unless already done I would blank off the breather on the cam cover above no4 exhaust port and blank the breather from the ds tank the was coupled to it, the remaining breather from the ds tank should go to atmosphere via a suitable catch tank.