Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Watts linkage reassembly

Bob Shelley

After returning from a drive I noticed that the rear Watts link had come unfastened from the captive bush under the rear wing. I have obtained the bolt to refit it but the rear suspension now seems out of alignment and the bar won't swing into position.

I don't know where or how to apply force to realign the De Dion tube and rotate the central trunnion into the position shown on the other side of the car. Can anyone help?

IMG_5845.thumb.jpeg.73c3016ec3e6bf615e268e0dfd44871a.jpeg IMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.2f2cb0e129e67ed4d0ebdff85bb2000b.jpeg IMG_5849.thumb.jpeg.7ecc7841fb42e39ab87cb8ec04d34a45.jpeg

You can adjust the length of front and rear radius arms to centralise the deDion tube in the wheel arch. If you don't get it square, the steering will be pulling one way or the other ! You can push the deDion left or right to get things to line up once car raised and chassis supported on axle stands, so suspension is at full droop. It will just be hanging by the dampers at this point.

You could try this...

Detach the bellcrank from the DD tube, reattach the rear link to the chassis boss (use Loctite on the bolt), and then reattach the bell crank. If you need more DD movement, detach the A-frame from the DD.

ETA:  Or you could just detach the A-frame to see whether that gives you enough forward movement of the DD?   

Is the DD flange undamaged (where the bellcrank fits)?

JV

• Area Representative

Due to the forward & rear Watts Linkage rods being a set length which should not be deviated from you may find difficulty in re aligning said rod.

Best to disconnect A frame as suggested.

After a diff rebuild I reconnected the Watts Linkage before attaching A frame to allow some movement to align bolts. Then it takes a bit of grunt to attach A frame..

• 3 weeks later...