Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electric question...

jackb_ms

40mA is a heck of a lot for a modern LED, no wonder it's very bright.

With the engine running the supply voltage will be about 14.4V. A typical blue LED has a forward voltage of about 3.4V (blue and white LEDs have much higher forward  voltage than other colours due to the chemistry) leaving 11V dropped across the series resistor (which may be built into the LED if its a "12V" type must be there somewhere). That means the existing series resistor must be about 11/0.040=275 Ohms.

So to halve the current fed to the LED you need to double this, or add another 275 Ohms.

You suggest adding 320 Ohms. This will give a current of 11/(275+320)=0.0185 or 18.5mA, slightly less than half the original but close.

One thing I will add though; subjective perceived brightness is quite different to current drive. Modern blue LEDs can still appear quite bright to the eye, especially in the dark, with much lower currents, say 5mA. That would require an additional resistor of (11/0.005)-275=1925 Ohms. So you may need to play around with resistance values to find what works for you.

I've shown the way I've calculated the values above so you can plug other numbers into the formulae if you need to.