Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1984 electrics

Gridgway

I am just starting the refurb of my 1984 "hot-rod" 7.  It's an arch chassis, has been home built and registered as a Lotus 7 with the AM frame number as a VIN.  It's known by a few people on here.

I've started assessing it before getting into taking it apart and making it shiny again.

One of the obvious areas is the wiring which is messy!  I'd like to identify if it's completely made up or if it started life with a Caterham loom of the era.

Does anyone have an appropriate wiring diagram of the era?  I do have a Jan 1988 one, which is probably very close, but would be helpful to know one way or other before I start trying to match up wires.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks Andrew, looks like that 81-87 wiring diagram will be the right one.

I'll post a picture of my 2 fuse arrangement later, but it's not like your picture.

Thanks for the link to standard wiring colours JK.

I've not had to do wholescale wiring before so it's going to be a fun learning process.

I can't really imagine that two fuses is properly sufficient for the whole car, but what do I know?!!

This is the 81-87 wiring diagram Graham. Hope it is legible enough for your purposes, if not PM me your email and I will send original scan

wiringdiagram81-87_0.jpg.07502588f7a7f943cc5c5995e55d6c2d.jpg

Incidentally circuits with only two fuses used to be fairly normal (certainly on BMC cars).  Early Minis had two, 30A I think, one for the permanently live circuits and one for the ignition switched ones.  Later Minis changed to four fuses and when I rebuilt mine I changed it to eight fuses of various ratings

Interestingly as I look at the pic, I don't understand the multiple wires on both sides.  I think that 12v is fed to the bottom of both.

The LH fuse has three wires at the bottom.  One will be the 12v feed, the other two go off unfused to their destination.  Although you can see that the yellow wire goes through an inline fuse.  I wonder what the other one does?  I assume all 12v feeds should be fused somewhere.