Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R trackday exhaust mounting

GLOOPY

Since buying my 420R late last year I've always thought the trackday exhaust fitted across the rear is lower than examples shown in photos. I had a chance to look at other examples at the Donington weekend all of which were mounted higher and closer to the chassis than mine. These were all fitted with the rubber mounts on top of the chassis brackets so the mount is in compression. My car has the mounts fitted below the brackets so the exhaust hangs from these and thus is lower. Simple fix I thought, just put the mounts on top of the brackets. However the standard mounts (the 'U' shaped items with a hole for the hnager) do not fit comfortably above the brackets on the chassis. Also the hanger on the pipe from the side silencer has a curve in it where it attaches to the pipe and would not fit the rubber mount if the mount was on top of the chassis bracket. I'm wondering if this hanger should be straight?

Could anyone with a trackday exhaust advise how theirs is fitted please?  Images of the mount to the chassis each side at the rear would be very helpful.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

113298E2-DB0B-414A-8D05-9A8BBE5FBC62.thumb.jpeg.bace2d0be06e164d7cc5f4f6ad41055d.jpeg B1076C00-164F-427F-86BD-89DEC245433D.thumb.jpeg.9ec989bcf5eaa506cf638999cae022ec.jpeg

Certainly on my car the rubber mounts are slightly chamfered on the appropriate side so to avoid interference with the chassis tube. That's how it came from Caterham so I assume it's correct.

Not sure what you mean by curved hanger mount?  The link pipe hanger (the part that goes through the rubber mount) is straight and parallel/aligned to the longest pipe run.

If you're using the mounts in tension rather than compression then effectively you're relying on a very small cross section of rubber, at the ends of the embedded metal plate, to support the weight of the rear exhaust and the link pipe!

I fitted the rear exit exhaust as part of my home build a couple of years ago and seem to remember having to trim the mounts slightly down one edge to ensure they fitted properly and squarely without fouling anything. Will take a pic or two and post them here if it helps - although mine will be similar to the pics already posted.