Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Gauge Drop!

Rhys Mann

That gauge action is normal for any engine, going from the video. That's a significant change in engine speed and not, IMO, what you have led us all to think was the issue. 

It's nothing to do with dipping the clutch but everything to do with a significant change in engine speed. What did you think would happen? 

And that doesn't look like a mechanical gauge but a standard one. 

I'm guessing your mechanical knowledge is, let's say, limited? 

Thank you all and yes my knowledge is very limited as you can gather!  I can do basics, change brake pads, oil change and other basics but that's as far as it goes at the moment!  Only had the car since March and since my mobile phone has hidden this gauge most of my driving time, just thought i'd check it out in case and appreciate all your responses, i shall continue to learn as I spend more time with my awesome Caterham 7 and apologies if I didn't explain clearly to start with

Glad it's all ok.  It's very easy to get dragged into diagnosing a non-problem, especially where oil pressure is concerned.

I'd definitely want to be able to see all the gauges though without a pesky mobile phone in the way!!

ETA I hope you don't mind me saying, but if your mechanical knowledge is rudimentary, please make sure you actually do know how to do those basics as getting them wrong doesn't get good outcomes.

Here you go:

You can see that the mechanical gauge actually tracks RPM faster than the tacho!

You will also notice on my engine the small, sharp, odd looking ticks in the oil pressure when the RPM is changing, you can see them most markedly with the oil pressure just aboive 20psi as it's falling. These are unique to the VVC engine and are caused by the ECU shunting off oil to drive the VVC mechanisms. They're driven hydraulically using engine oil pressure through  a solenoid-driven spool valve to shunt oil to one side or other of a piston. The solenoid pulses are only a few milliseconds in duration, but the mechanical gauge is fast enough to see them. It's really noticeable on the road, cruising at a steady speed, put your foot down suddenly and you get one short sharp downward tick as the VVCs open. Take your foot off suddenly and you get another one as they close up again.